986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   dead battery hood trick (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55038)

jmccjr 12-07-2014 07:19 AM

dead battery hood trick

I followed the advice found on forum to attempt to open front hood with battery pack through fuse panel but only get alarm sounding and hood still wont open. any advice on what might be issue and what to try next?

Timco 12-07-2014 07:37 AM

Battery maintainer or charger with cig lighter plug in?

jmccjr 12-07-2014 07:42 AM

I also noticed that when I first went to start it the car it only clicked and the driver side window dropped about 3 inches. The rear spoiler also deployed then nothing in terms on power . Would alarm still sound if battery was dead??

Timco 12-07-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccjr (Post 427549)
I also noticed that when I first went to start it the car it only clicked and the driver side window dropped about 3 inches. The rear spoiler also deployed then nothing in terms on power . Would alarm still sound if battery was dead??

Many odd things happen with a dead batt. Yes alarm would sound.

jmccjr 12-07-2014 08:24 AM

thanks for the advice, will try to charge through power outlet and go from there.

Santafe 12-07-2014 11:37 AM

Opening front hood

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccjr (Post 427551)
thanks for the advice, will try to charge through power outlet and go from there.

Jmccjr,
The alarm usually has it's own little inbuilt battery which will sound until it too discharges.
On right hand steer cars remove the the RH front wheel and prod around the base of the headlamp with your fore finger, you will find a little steel cable ( it can be difficult to find but it is there ) with a loop at one end, pull this and the hood will open, you may have to put on a leather glove or place some rope through the loop as it usually takes some effort to pull the release mechanism, I have permantely tied a piece of heavier cable about 1ft long onto mine and tucked it away incase it's required for future emergencies , this usually allows you to open the hood without taking the front wheel off, merely turn the steering to reach it.
P.S. On L.H. Steer cars the emergency release will most likely be below the L.H.headlight.
I have never had any success opening the hood with a power pack attached to the post in the fuse compartment

Mrjako 12-07-2014 04:34 PM

Opened Hood

Hooked up jumper cables to other car, opened the fuse box and there is a red fake fuse with the pic of a car with the hood open, pulled it out and placed the positive of the jumper cable on it, and pop open came the hood.

koosh 12-09-2014 03:27 AM

i replied in your other thread with a possible solution. it involves closing the door and locking the car then using the button on the key... look in other thread for more details :P

AP328 12-11-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccjr (Post 427546)
I followed the advice found on forum to attempt to open front hood with battery pack through fuse panel but only get alarm sounding and hood still wont open. any advice on what might be issue and what to try next?

Does your car have the cable actuated levers for the hood and trunk, or the electric? If cable I have used a very simple procedure on a couple of occasions that I read about over 10 years ago.

jim_hoyland 12-12-2014 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrjako (Post 427586)
Hooked up jumper cables to other car, opened the fuse box and there is a red fake fuse with the pic of a car with the hood open, pulled it out and placed the positive of the jumper cable on it, and pop open came the hood.

What position does the fake red fuse occupy, I don't see it ?