Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Dimension for replacing rear deck emblem

For a Boxster S, would someone please reply with the dimension of the "Boxster" emblem on the rear deck lid from the bottom center of the lid to the bottom of the letters of the emblem. This would be on a "S" model. I'm seeing conflicting information that seems not to correspond with where the emblems are installed originally. After measuring three vehicles, a non "S" is app. 50 mm, although the workshop manual states it should be 45 mm. The workshop manual for the "S' Boxster emblem shows it to be 55mm from the bottom of the lid. Not sure which is correct. Thanks much for anyone that can measure theirs that hasn't been altered from it's orginal location. Thanks!

David

DAVID44TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage

Found this link
Body Exterior - Boxster Tech
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Thanks much Tony,
I do have the diagram you sent. I've measured three non- S model Boxsters still with their original rear "Boxster" logo and the "Y" dimension from measuring them is 50mm instead of the 45mm as shown on the diagram. I feel fairly certain the 45mm on the diagram is a misprint. I also have another factory Porsche workshop manual stating the "Boxster" emblem dimension "Y" is 55mm for a "S" model. Also according to that same diagram the "S" letter emblem is app. 5mm lower being measured at 50.4mm from the bottom edge of the rear lid. Before attaching the emblems to the rear deck lid I would like to get the dimension from someone with a Boxster S (2000-2004) still with the original emblem that would tell me what the measurement is from the bottom of the rear deck lid to the bottom of the "Boxster" emblem. The lastest diagram shows 55mm but I need to be absolutely sure before attaching it to the lid. I can figure the rest out from there. Thanks much!

David
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
As typical, the lower letter 'B' was broken on mine when I purchased it.
What was worse is they tried to super glue it, leaving residue on the paint.
While I purchased another black Boxster emblem, I couldn't bring myself to install it. Only to have it happen again..
I opted for the Panamera 'PORSCHE' instead. So I cannot provide my stock measurements.
T
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #5

Garage
My car is an unmolested, bone stock 2000 S, and the dimension in question is 55mm.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #6

Thanks much Tony and KJC2050! KJC2050, I'm guessing your emblem is placed from what is describe in the diagram that I have inserted with the "C" dimension being 55mm. Being that, from what I've gathered at this point, the "Boxster" emblem is placed 5mm higher on an "S" model with the "S" section of the emblem being lower at the same app. distance from the bottom of the lid as the complete "Boxster"emblem of a non-S model. Thanks much.
David
Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #7

Garage
David,

I measured it a second time. The way I'm measuring it isn't super precise, but it's reasonably close. First, a picture:

From the bottom of the "B" in Boxster to the edge of the trunk lid is ~55.5mm. From the bottom of the "S" (at its lowest point) to the trunk lid is ~50.8mm.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #8

Thanks much! The dimensions and picture have been a great help! I really appreciate it! I had my emblem "temporary" attached and it just didn't look right for some reason, and that being 10mm lower than usual was the reason. BTW, I have a freshly painted rear deck lid without any markings where the emblems have been so I had to start from scratch with installing them. Thanks again!

David
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #9

[QUOTE=DAVID44TN;313448]Thanks much! The dimensions and picture have been a great help! I really appreciate it! I had my emblem "temporary" attached and it just didn't look right for some reason, and that being 10mm lower than usual was the reason. BTW, I have a freshly painted rear deck lid without any markings where the emblems have been so I had to start from scratch with installing them. Thanks again!

Hi David
My car is a 2002 S Arctic Silver. Rear boot 50mm to "B", 45mm to "S". This car was assembled in (just forgot) not Germany. All looks original.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #10

Thanks derfo! Very interesting. From what I can gather, none of the "Boxster" section of the emblems, of a Boxster or Boxster S are placed at the "Y" measurement of 45mm as shown in the diagram, but are placed at a minimum of app. 50mm instead (although 5mm difference is a very small) My Boxster S was manufactured in Stuggart, not sure if that makes a difference or not in the measurements. I did end up going with the measurements from the diagram I included earlier which did correspond with what kjc2050 sent . Thanks much!

David
Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
Mach 3 with your hair….

Anyone know where I can buy the emblem? ebay has the set for about $100. Any other deals, places?
OnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #12

https://www.****************************************************.com/category/986logos.html
doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #13

Garage
There is also this place. They sell the pieces separately if you need to just get the "Boxster" or just the "S".

Aase Sales Porsche Boxster parts and accessories | Aase Sales Porsche Parts Center
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #14

Red S

Why is it so expensive ?
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
From experience, I can tell you that the measurements for the S models are incorrect. They should be:

Logo Boxster -3A -in connection with the letter S dimension -X= 260mm and -Y= 55mm

Logo S -3B -dimension -Z = 20mm and -V= 50mm

This will center the Boxster S in the middle of the trunk.