Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #1

Bye Bye Diesels?

Interesting story out of France - wanting to eliminate the Diesel engine from their roads. They are such big sellers over seas and a huge part of their driving culture.

France moves to kick the diesel habit | Canoe

Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

That is a rather surprising story and I imagine that the French government will get a lot of pushback from nearly every sector of the French automotive community. We'll hear cries like, "you can take take my diesel when you pry the keys from my cold dead hand!"
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-09-2014 at 08:20 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #3

It won't be just the automotive industry that will kick back - the downstream fuel giants like Esso, Fina, Shell and Elf make a lot more profit selling diesel fuel than petrol for the simple reason that diesel is much easier (cheaper) to refine than petroleum.....
The smell of diesel fumes in Paris can be overwhelming, but to the average motorist, the cost of filling the car is more important than the odour!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
That is a rather surprising story and I imagine that the French government will get a lot of pushback from nearly every sector of the French automotive community. We'll hear cries like, "you take take my diesel when you pry the keys from my cold dead hand!"
Actually, It's the French, so they'll probably just roll over and "surrender" the keys on their own. Then they'll work with the government to turn in other diesel owners.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Actually, It's the French, so they'll probably just roll over and "surrender" the keys on their own. Then they'll work with the government to turn in other diesel owners.
Say didn't the French have something to do with there even being a U.S.A.?

I wonder what kind of engine the British Emperialists would have allowed Henry Ford to build
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I wonder what kind of engine the British Emperialists would have allowed Henry Ford to build
Steam.......
Old 12-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:

Always found it interesting that one of the United States biggest monuments is the Statue of Liberty, which was a very generous gift from the people of France. And yet the US rips into France constantly. Never understood that.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Always found it interesting that one of the United States biggest monuments is the Statue of Liberty, which was a very generous gift from the people of France. And yet the US rips into France constantly. Never understood that.
The reasons are vast, but for most (especially military)......Probably what many would consider a general lack of appreciation for our past efforts.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
First off it is not "a" it is THE USA. Secondly, isn't THE USA the reason there is even still a France?

The diesel odour of yore is as prevalent there now as it is in the US... maybe even a bit less.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
First off it is not "a" it is THE USA. Secondly, isn't THE USA the reason there is even still a France?

The diesel odour of yore is as prevalent there now as it is in the US... maybe even a bit less.
I would argue that statement, first, the U.S. didn't enter the war until it was 2 years along, and second, it was definitely a group effort. Yes France was overwhelmed by the Germans but they still played a big role in our side winning the war.

Fortunately now, we all get along and get to drive these awesome German cars to show it!
Old 12-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
The reasons are vast, but for most (especially military)......Probably what many would consider a general lack of appreciation for our past efforts.
My curiousity is peaked....I'm not up on my French-US relations. Google, here I come!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
My curiousity is peaked....I'm not up on my French-US relations. Google, here I come!
In regards to the pictures I posted.........

Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally have nothing against the French, I've been there twice, the people were great and I think it's a wonderful place. Heck, my wife's family is from France, not kidding.

That being said I do see where some of the anti-French attitudes come from, and being a student of history I do think some of the negative attitudes are very warranted.

Last edited by coreseller; 12-10-2014 at 02:45 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #13

Sometimes when I'm hooking up my motorcycle trailer to my diesel Mercedes GL I leave the motor running.

There is zero diesel smell due to the diesel particulate filter. The only smell is something like steam. (My face is right there hooking up the electrics.) There is no black staining on the exhausts or anywhere on the back of the vehicle.

FWIW, mine is a couple years prior to diesel exhaust fluid.

France needs more modern diesels.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #14

Garage
French is the language of diplomacy.

During WWII they kept their Naval ships mostly out of German hands. If the French Navy had combined with the German Navy, Britian would have had a much tougher time. At that time Britian was the largest naval power, with France and Germany 2 and 3rd - IIRC.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #15

Quote:
I would argue that statement, first, the U.S. didn't enter the war until it was 2 years along, and second, it was definitely a group effort. Yes France was overwhelmed by the Germans but they still played a big role in our side winning the war.
"Overwhelmed by the Germans"
LOL - I think you mean had surrendered to the Germans. Regardless, not disputing France sided with / provided assistance to America in breaking free from England. Think it coincidence they just so happened to be France's life long enemy and this was the new land? BTW, which "overwhelmed by the Germans" time are you referring to?

Quote:
Franco- < anything > relations (well, maybe sans Canada) will provide good insight for you.

Again, I'm not being flippant - France was helpful in America's Revolutionary War. And it's also more than 'just' WWII... The USA has been instrumental in ensuring France is well, still France on more than one occasion. Even after it had fallen. That is what allies do... or should do.

Coincidentally, was in France again last week. In the cool but also scary as snot dept if you do not like heights... the Eiffel Tower now has some glass floored observation stations on Level 1. Rest assured though the French anti-American sentiment can still be easily found. True story...

Me [to waiter after observing him converse w/ two attractive young Asian women in English three tables over]: Pardon, je ne parle pas très bien français. Parlez-vous anglais?
Waiter: Uh No!

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 12-09-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Sometimes when I'm hooking up my motorcycle trailer to my diesel Mercedes GL I leave the motor running.

There is zero diesel smell due to the diesel particulate filter. The only smell is something like steam. (My face is right there hooking up the electrics.) There is no black staining on the exhausts or anywhere on the back of the vehicle.

FWIW, mine is a couple years prior to diesel exhaust fluid.

France needs more modern diesels.
I was wondering where the smog was coming from too because my brand new Cayenne Diesel is so clean. The exhaust tips are so clean. They talk about the exhaust causing a lot of ozone. I was surprised and wondered are they all running around in older diesels.

I see my Cayenne rates only a 5 out of 10 on CO2 and a 6 out of 10 on smog. I don't remember what my Boxster was. I never smell anything from the Cayenne unlike all my previous gas vehicles. Of course smell doesn't mean there isn't a lot of pollution.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
French is the language of diplomacy.

During WWII they kept their Naval ships mostly out of German hands. If the French Navy had combined with the German Navy, Britian would have had a much tougher time. At that time Britian was the largest naval power, with France and Germany 2 and 3rd - IIRC.
Tough to get an accurate count - and depends on when you count. Generally speaking, Britain was #1 with Japan, the Soviet Union and Canada taking the next 3 spots, depending on the year. Yes, Canada. We used to be one of the great Naval powers of the world. The US though I believe, finished WWII right up there as the built a ton of ships over the course of the war.