986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Possibly purchasing a tiptronic Boxster (Questions)? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5496)

Zerostatic 03-25-2006 03:04 PM

Possibly purchasing a tiptronic Boxster (Questions)?

Guys, I am considering purchasing a tiptronic boxster. I have already taken out the pre-2000 boxsters out of consideration mainly because since I am getting tiptronic any extra power I can get is going to be important and I don't think I'd be quite as happy with the 2.5 lier.

I have the following questions:

1) How big would you say is the difference in horsepower/torque between the 2.7 engine and the 3.2 with the tiptronic tranny? I know that since a manual tranny is more interactive it'll be instantly noticeable with a manual tranny but is it still as a dramatic a difference with the tip.

2) Are the improvements of the 2003+ boxsters dramatic enough that I should just focus on those years instead and overlook the 2000-2002 model year?

3) How good would you say is the automatic top in the boxsters compared to other convertibles, as far as speed, reliability, weather-resistance?

4) Will a good set of snow-tires allow me to drive the Boxster year-round (I live in the northeast)?

5) How would you say the Boxster looks with the hardtop on? I've seen some pics and I like it but I would like some owners opinions?

6) For you tiptronic owners, how much control does the transmission give you? For example if the car is in manual mode and keep the car in gear will the car let me bounce off the rev-limiter or will it shift for me?

7) I heard that there was a year where Porsche switched the tiptronic tranny to the more advanced version sold in some of other porsche's vehicles, is that true? If so what year?

Adam 03-25-2006 03:28 PM

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you stated the best I can

1. The 3.2L is a better mate to the tip tranny since that transmission soaks up hp with it's torque converter and adds about 100lbs to the car. A 2.7L or 2.5L with a tip is pretty underwhelming in terms of straight line accel.

2. I think it is. The best features being the heated rear glass and a glove box for me. You also get a freshened up exterior look and a slight hp boost.

3. The top is very good in the boxster. The earlier boxsters had a one layer top, since about 2000 I believe there are 3 layers that insulate the driver very well and ease of operation is excellent.

4. The boxster is a very good winter driver with a good set of snow tires because of the rear weight bias.

5. I think the hardtop looks great, but I don't have one. That is a subjective issue.

6. Not sure about this one since I've never driven a tip, but I believe the tip doesn't give the driver total control even in manual mode(ie..shifts for you before you bounce the needle off the limiter.)

7. Way old tips were four speeds back in the 993's and 968's ect in the 90's. I believe they have improved them over the years, such as making them "smarter" but no significant changes since the boxster has been out.

jr1966 03-25-2006 03:42 PM

I have driven both tip and manual. And yet to get my own Boxster.

I prefer manual. However, I also am considering a tip due to the reason so that my wife can also drive it. I mean my wife can drive a manual but I think the clutch of the Boxster is quite heavy for her (this opinion is based on the manual Boxster I've driven).

But if this is just for yourself, go for the manual. It's more fun.

Zerostatic 03-25-2006 03:55 PM

I'm in a similar situation, I need a car the Misses can drive. We are both getting cars in the near future, and she is going to comprimise by getting a small SUV (i.e. Rav4, CRV, etc.) which we could use when we are going to haul stuff around (instead of a coupe like she prefered) and as part of the deal, I can splurge on a boxster but she wants me to get Tip.

Honestly though, if I really wanted a stick I'm sure I could get a stick, but I really don't want one, I just want a good-looking car with some omph that I could drop the top in the summer and with my lady in the passenger seat and the music playing I could head out on little road-trips here and there. Some might then say just get the 2.5 tip if that's all you want but I do care about power, I don't want some guy in a miata or one of those new Solstice leaving me in his dust.

jr1966 03-25-2006 04:13 PM

That's married life. Compromises. And the Missus will always drive while talking over the cellphone. In other words, they can't shift with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding a cellphone. And they don't use headsets even if they have one. Use of cellphones while driving is not disallowed in my area. And if you're in business and you're driving the Porsche, you just can't prevent yourself from using your cellphone. At least we can use our headsets.

Brucelee 03-25-2006 04:28 PM

As usual Adam is very thorough and accurate.

However, with regard to driving the Box in the Northeast, the issue is not the traction of the Box, it is very tractable in the snow IF you have real snow tires on all four wheels.

However, because the car is so low to the ground, you will find yourself stuck in any decent accumulation.

If you are talking a light snow, no problems.

PS-if they allow studs, get them.

PPS-I would go for an 03 if I you have the dough!

Best of luck.

jr1966 03-25-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
However, with regard to driving the Box in the Northeast, the issue is not the traction of the Box, it is very tractable in the snow IF you have real snow tires on all four wheels.

However, because the car is so low to the ground, you will find yourself stuck in any decent accumulation.

Yes to Brucelee. A recent article in an automotive publication showed that any 2-wheel drive vehicle with snow tires would even be better than any all-wheel drive vehicle with all-seasons. So it should be tractable in snow.

As for his 2nd comment about the car being so low to the ground, that is what a Cayenne is for. hehe! :)

Ronzi 03-26-2006 09:58 AM

My car is a Tipper, so I can tell you specifically how it responds in the situation you describe in #6.
If you shift into manual mode, it will stay in the selected gear up to about 6250rpm, at which point if you haven't had sense enough to upshift, it will upshift for you in the interests of self-preservation.
The question then arises, suppose I'm in the middle of a corner at 6250rpm and I don't WANT it to upshift just then? Actually I can't tell you what happens in this situation because I've never been in that situation. My guess is that the computer is going to determine what the side-loading on the car is (i.e., how fast you're going thru the corner) and if it's low enough, upshift. If not, cut in the rpm limiter until side-loading has been reduced enough to safely upshift. But maybe I'm giving the computer too much credit. Perhaps someone who tracks their Tipper car can tell us, because I'd like to know, too.
There were a number of changes to the Tip in the 2000 cars, including revised gearing and the addition of a temporary manual shift while in auto mode. The Tip in the 2000 S also has an uprated torque converter and a control module with more shift maps.

One other point to consider is that Tiptronic cars are less susceptible to the dread RMS (rear main seal) problem than manual shift cars.