Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Shifting Issues

I have a 2000 Boxster S 50,000 miles. New clutch was put in a few months ago and has about 4000 miles on it. I was driving and came to a stop. Tried to put the car in 1st and it would not go. No grinding noises just won't go into gear. Will not go into reverse, 3rd or 5th either. Any suggestions on what it might be. Thanks

alpinesystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Could be a transmission linkage problem. Fairly common. Some parts come loose, others break.

Lift the car up (safely) and inspect where the shift cables attach to the transmission linkage. If everything looks ok, then have someone else in the car try to shift through the gears while you watch and you should be able to determine pretty easily if this is the cause.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #3

You might have a broken shifter connection. The stock rivets/retainers are cheap plastic and break easily if you're too forceful with your shifting. When mine broke I was able to get it into one side of the shifter but not the other, similar to what you describe.

I used it as the perfect excuse to upgrade to the 9x7 short shifter.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #4

Transmission linkage

My linkage went out at the transmission when it went out I had third and fourth gears, lifted the car and saw easily that it had detached, I looked at the cup connection and it was chipped and worn. I have been researching this issue and have heard that Porsche no longer supplies 1997 linkage, they have a replacement linkage, I also heard that you have to get new cables I think because the ball and cups are differn't sizes than the original. If anyone knows anything about this issue please let me know. I ordered a short shifter and put it in now I need to fix the linkage.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote