Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #1

Painting Hardtop

I just bought a used Artic Silver hard top for my 2002 Boxster S. Any idea what a it would cost me to repaint it to match my car? My car color is Meridian clearcoat (6A6).

bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #2

For the hard top, you can figure about 4 hours prep time and 4 hours paint time as a guide. You can certainly get an estimate from a quality auto body shop. Any shop should be able to match your color with the correct paint code. Whats involved is buzzing down the old painted surface and filling or repairing any dings if you wish. Once this is done, new base coat and clear will be sprayed. Then the shop will wetsand and buff the new paint to match the rest of the finish on your car. All said and done you can figure about 500.00 to 550.00 for a nice job. I am figuring body and paint labor at around 50.00 per hour plus materials.

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
bmussatti

I would bet a paint shop in CA will be charging closer to $80/hour.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:22 PM   #4

Actually, from what I understand about west coast labor due to the larger immigrant population the rates are equal to or less than east coast cost. I cant say that statement is true or not but it is true for southern states like TX and FL. California from what I hear is super expensive compared to the rest of the country for most everything else so it wouldnt surprise me either.

Anyone out there know what the labor rate is in CA, I am curious!
thanks

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote