Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #1

Angry Exhaust tip heat shield re-attach?

Hi Everybody,

I had an annoying moment on an otherwise wonderful weekend driving in the country. I accidentally backed (slowly) into a rock while turning round. No major damage apart from a dented exhaust tip and a slightly bent heat shield. The heat shield had come off from one end so I decided to get it of completely to straighten it. Unfortunately it's just seems to be held on by two metal fasteners that seem to be pushed into holes in the bumper, unless they're rivets. I was hoping that it would be easy to push back on, but it isn't.
Has anyone had to replace one of these heat shields? If so, how did you manage to get it back on? I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the bumper off to do it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Pominoz; 11-12-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Pominoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 AM   #2

Garage
Their just rivets... but more than likely they pulled out of the plastic leaving the hole in the plastic stretched. If I were you I would put a washer on the backside of the plastic before re-riveting it back to the bumper skirt... or use some nice flush stainless screws and put a washer and nut on the backside (with a drop of locktite).
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 AM   #3

Those look kinda like 1/4" pop-rivets to me. If they are, I would probably carefully drill them out and replace them with new ones (or stainless screws and nuts).
Old 11-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #4

Thanks guys,

Riveting metal to plastic seems like a low rent solution for Porsche to have used, although they do look like luxury rivets

I'll probably go for the bolts, washers and threadlock solution as it'll be easier to get off if I do it again :-0

Cheers!