986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Yet another polish/ wax/ cleaning question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5473)

Dr. Kill 03-23-2006 07:42 AM

Yet another polish/ wax/ cleaning question

I know that this subject has been beaten to death and I greatly appreciate it. I have learned an awful lot from it and think I am going to use Perfectlap’s method of:

1-wash and clay
2-removing swirls and scratches
3-polishing (to remove the swirl remover and leave the paint CLEAN)
4-sealing (usually requires a few hours curing time before waxing)
5-wax (no curing necessary)
**optional** 5-.1 Seal the wax with FX100 sealant Glaze
6-425 (I think it works better with FX100) I can't really think of another product
that performs the 425 function.

I know there are many philosophies, but I figure that if this works in NJ, I need to go with that.

My real question here is what to do next for ongoing maintenance. How often should I perform the above steps to still hope to keep some paint on my car in the years to come? Is this a quarterly procedure with simple washes weekly in between? More carnuba in between?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

bmussatti 03-23-2006 07:51 AM

Don't forget Perfectlap's step #7......

1-wash and clay
2-removing swirls and scratches
3-polishing (to remove the swirl remover and leave the paint CLEAN)
4-sealing (usually requires a few hours curing time before waxing)
5-wax (no curing necessary)
**optional** 5-.1 Seal the wax with FX100 sealant Glaze
6-425 (I think it works better with FX100) I can't really think of another product
that performs the 425 function.
7. Install side-skirts!!!

Dr. Kill, you have a black car I see...I predict by summer's end, you will have arms the size of Barry Bonds. Good thing Porsche does not do steriod testing!

Dr. Kill 03-23-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti

Dr. Kill, you have a black car I see...I predict by summer's end, you will have arms the size of Barry Bonds. Good thing Porsche does not do steriod testing!

True. I am thinking of ordering a Porter Cable.

I don't mind spending the time on the black car. When I was first married, my wife was a little stymied by the amount of time I could spend detailing my sports car. Later she told me she figured it out – she said, “I understand now, you just like to touch beautiful things.” ;)

bmussatti 03-23-2006 08:04 AM

Dr. Kill, there are some good postings from a few weeks ago about good prices for the Porter Cable. Do a search if you need the info.

Many years ago, my dad told me that everyone at some point owns one black car. The operative word being "one"! He was right for my case anyway. They do look great though, when clean. Have fun.

TriGem2k 03-23-2006 09:41 AM

Dr. Kill I just bought my Porter Cable from Coastaltool.com for $119.99.....I dont think you can find a better deal than that. Check it out.

Dr. Kill 03-23-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Dr. Kill I just bought my Porter Cable from Coastaltool.com for $119.99.....I dont think you can find a better deal than that. Check it out.

Thanks! I will check them out later on today.

mjw930 03-23-2006 04:02 PM

I just got my Porter Cable from Coastal and now I'm looking for the proper pads and "stuff" to use with it.

The bonus pack came with a 6" hook and loop pad but I'm thinking I might go with a 5" plate and 6.5" pads to make it easier to get around the tight spots without putting the edge of the plate too close to the paint. Can anyone comment on what the best package of plates, pads and chemicals might be or at least another good site to do some research?

Thanks.

TriGem2k 03-23-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930
I just got my Porter Cable from Coastal and now I'm looking for the proper pads and "stuff" to use with it.

The bonus pack came with a 6" hook and loop pad but I'm thinking I might go with a 5" plate and 6.5" pads to make it easier to get around the tight spots without putting the edge of the plate too close to the paint. Can anyone comment on what the best package of plates, pads and chemicals might be or at least another good site to do some research?

Thanks.

www.fk1usa.com... I am totally sold on their products...They also have the pads you are looking for