Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #1

soft top problems

I am considering the purchase of a '97 Boxster. The main problem is the vehicle's power top mechanism failed on the first owner and they had the whole power top mechanism removed and converted to manual. Plus the stitching between the plastic rear windshield and the canvass has separated therefore will need a new top. If I do purchase the vehicle, I intend to replace the whole top to a new one. However, I am undecided if I should restore the power top mechanism or just leave it manual. There are people that suggest to leave it manual so as to lessen any future problem with the power top mechanism. Any suggestions from the members of this forum? Thanks for any advice.

jr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:03 AM   #2

I would skip that car altogether. It's a 97, first of all, which brought with it a lot of gremlins worked out in later cars. This particular car has had problems in the past and been modified, so you'll have the expense of repairing the top and reversing the modification if you chose.

If your primary motivation for buying this car is that you can get it cheaply enough to be able to afford it then walk, and wait until you can afford a better car. While Boxsters aren't unreliable, when they do break they can be expensive to fix.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:36 AM   #3

Amen to what BuffaloBoxster told you!

Run away from this car. Don't buy it. Thank the guy for his time and keep your wallet in your pocket.

There are many boxsters on the planet to be purchased with low miles, functioning tops and good mainenance records. Think about it...

If the guy didn't spend the money to get the top fixed properly, what else has he ignored on the car he's not telling you about or doesn't even know about? Worn suspension parts like struts or control arms on older boxsters are just some of the things that can be ignored for a long time and passed along to the new owner.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:25 AM   #4

Ditto on the previous opinions.
Boxsters are not thin upon the ground, so there is no need to buy a questionable one, unless there is an economic reason. If that is the reason then pay particular attention to Randall's opinion, as he is the self-confessed Worlds' Foremost Expert on pay-me-now-or-pay-me-later Boxsters.
How do you convert a Boxster top to manual operation, anyway? Disconnect the rods between the top and the motors or what?
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #5

I'm curious about that myself.. I mean, how do you open the clamshell?
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Ditto on the previous opinions.
Boxsters are not thin upon the ground, so there is no need to buy a questionable one, unless there is an economic reason. If that is the reason then pay particular attention to Randall's opinion, as he is the self-confessed Worlds' Foremost Expert on pay-me-now-or-pay-me-later Boxsters.
How do you convert a Boxster top to manual operation, anyway? Disconnect the rods between the top and the motors or what?
From the way it looks according to my mechanic who checked the car, there are a lot of missing parts for the power top mechanism. They probably just left the hinge to raise and lower the top.

jr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote