986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Proud new owner (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54618)

Pdwight 10-29-2014 07:49 PM

Proud new owner

Well not a car but I am just as excited. My widowed mom just bought a 10 year old house near me in like new condition, attached is a nice 2 car garage. It has a great concrete driveway going back to the rear of the huge lot and there is a nice 2 car garage and a 1 car garage joined with nice shingled roof on all and siding. I have never had a decent garage, never...my one car garage on my current 35 year old house looks like it was designed for a Pinto. My new garages have automatic openers and a key pad on the outside for the alarm and to open the doors. I cannot believe my luck, also underground wiring with 220 service and lots of receptacles. The old guy worked the last 10 years of his life to build this and passed just as it was almost finished...no insulation but I can get it blown later. Both garages have oil spots in the middle of the floor, I need to clean them before bad winter sets in...what do you guys use ?

I have a good pressure washer but what degreaser to use ?

In the spring I plan on painting the floor with epoxy paint but there will just not be enough time before winter sets in here. I had thought about painting it black and then taping it off and paint it white over to produce the classic black and white square pattern.....but I could possibly paint a Porsche emblem on the floor....Ideas ??

I have to install some decent lighting , only three twin tube fluorescent fixtures in both garages and that is just not enough light for me.

Thanks
Dwight

Nine8Six 10-29-2014 09:13 PM

I think I have a good feeling of how you feel atm!

I'd pay a million $ if I could have a dedicated garage big enough for all my toys here. Unfortunately this is a 28million pop city so space is somehow limited :/ Keeping my boxster and the bikes in the villa's (shared) garage about 100m from the town house my wife and I purchased back in 2008. My little (mini) garage here is house for 2 Rottweilers, R&D tooling, workbench and other small things. No Porsche, No Superbikes :(

Ahhh.... one day.... I'll have this garage you are talking about Dwight! Good on ya buddy, enjoy

Pdwight 10-29-2014 09:24 PM

Thanks Fred, one of the things I discovered by surprise was a fine old hardwood workbench. The thing is huge and I suppose the family settling the estate just didn't want to move it. To get some idea how big it is that is a full size floor jack sitting on top. I need to add ball bearing drawer slides as it is very old fashioned and the drawers do not pull out or push in easily....but I am pleased as punch to have it.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...psda9b0db2.jpg

Now to get my two tool boxes and my air compressor over there.....then my 1978 FJ40 restoration project into the small garage.

jsceash 10-30-2014 03:31 AM

Congrats. That's a great find. This is probably a little harsh but the house I purchase had several spots. I ended up pouring on some lacquer thinner and wiping it back up with towels. The one spot ended up cleaner than the surrounding floor.

Timco 10-30-2014 03:35 AM

I had taken over our 2.5 car garage so cars would barely fit, the 1-car garage at our 4-plex, a storage shed at another rental, and two storage units (all for my business & tools) until I moved into 2,500 sq' of shop. 3-phase power, water, great space. Full welding setup and almost full woodworking setup. Norm on Yankee Workshop has me beat....

rp17 10-30-2014 07:50 AM

Congrats!! Now you have space for a lift. Hurry up and buy one and say it came with the house. :D