986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   F1 cota (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54596)

OklahomaBoxster 10-28-2014 06:28 AM

F1 cota

Anyone else besides me going to be in Austin for F1 this weekend? :)

Dlirium 10-28-2014 07:22 AM

Lucky Dog!!

Muzzle of Bees 10-28-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster (Post 423153)

I am hoping to go. I don't have to commit though. I have some friends that work F1 and can get me passes.

Perfectlap 10-28-2014 12:37 PM

How much are those tickets? Can you park your camper in the infield like a NASCAR race? :)

Mark_T 10-28-2014 01:24 PM

I went to the Montreal F1 in the spring. As much as I'd like to go to Austin, two in one year would be pushing it.

Muzzle of Bees 11-03-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster (Post 423153)

Did you end up going to the race?
I attended Sunday; turn 19 trackside location was great. Same section as my 2012 year passes. I was sick last year and did not attend. Saw the Porsche Challenge race first and that was really fun to watch. It was more competitive then the F1 race.
The F1 cars sure sounded neutered though. Fast, but neutered. I did even need my ear plugs this year. With the NA V8’s ear plugs were required attire.

OklahomaBoxster 11-04-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees (Post 423849)
Did you end up going to the race?
I attended Sunday; turn 19 trackside location was great. Same section as my 2012 year passes. I was sick last year and did not attend. Saw the Porsche Challenge race first and that was really fun to watch. It was more competitive then the F1 race.
The F1 cars sure sounded neutered though. Fast, but neutered. I did even need my ear plugs this year. With the NA V8’s ear plugs were required attire.

Yes I went! watched the race Sunday from turn 1 hill. Could see about 3/4 of the track from there. Watched FP1 and FP2 and qualifying from 19. Totally agree on the sound.

Muzzle of Bees 11-04-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster (Post 423960)
Yes I went! watched the race Sunday from turn 1 hill. Could see about 3/4 of the track from there. Watched FP1 and FP2 and qualifying from 19. Totally agree on the sound.

Turn 1 looks like a fun place to watch the race from. Rush up that hill and slow quickly into the turn.

Muzzle of Bees 10-26-2015 04:17 AM

Did anyone go this year? I was given a ticket for Sunday and went. It was a great race this year.
It was easy to get around this year. I think the attendance was a little lower. I had a GA ticket, but was able to get into the grand stand area on turn twelve easily. It was a great place to see the race from.
It was really muddy and windy.

Jschindler 10-26-2015 05:51 AM

I went Sunday & the race was awesome. Sure did get cold, wet & muddy, but the experience was worth it. There were at least 5 passes for the lead on track which is almost unheard of for F1.

We arrived Sunday via uber which dropped us off right by turn 1 just in time for the cars to leave the pit lane for Q1. Walked down to T11 for Q2, then Q3 was cancelled. We huddled in a BierGarten until the rain stopped & the PorscheCup guys were dicing it up on track. I stood back behind the mudhole at T1 for the start, then we slowly made our way to the bridge on turn 3 which we made our own spot & could see turn 2, and the apex of T12 & most of the carousell leading to Turn 19. At the end of the race we found that Turn 19 is a really nice place because the cars are going very fast at the exit of the rh sweepers, & you can see turn 1 & 2 from there.

I hope to come back again for a sunny race! Hope those who went enjoyed it as much as this guy.