Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #1

Garage
Boxster Spyder airbag chime killing me!

Hi all, here's one for you. I just bought a quite gorgeous 2011 Boxster Spyder in SanFran and drove it home to Seattle. Sounds great right, up the coast, surf and sun... Well the damn airbag/seatbelt chime kept 'chiming' away the whole drive! I had checked the car out a week before and no problems, normal chime then stopped. On the trip it would chime every few minutes, randomly starting and stopping. My wife and I were both convinced that if we placed our butts just right on the seat it would stop. Then the next corner would come and it's back. If you'd driven past us you would've thought we had some kind of neurological disorder causing spastic muscle contractions! I was convinced it was her seat until somewhere around Portland I thought if I put the car on cruise and sunk my buns deep into the base of the seat while lifting both legs so my feet were danglng, then it seemed better. When was the last time you tried to keep your feet in the air while driving? I will probably need a chiropractor now as this "feat" caused immense cramping and back pain. After all this contortionism and about 100 miles the chime returned. In the end the only workable solution was to crank up my Jambox I'd brought so you couldn't hear the chime as much. This also stopped the bickering about who's butt needed adjustment. WTF is causing this?? HELP!!!

Dave Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Does the light for the passenger airbag (in the console by the shifter) come on when the chime does? It could be a defective weight sensor in the seat, or a defective microswitch in the passenger buckle latch. That's my guess, anyway. A scan with a Durametric or PIWIS/PST2 should determine the root cause, if it's throwing an error code.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #3

Garage
Deserion, good question. Yes the light does come on at initial startup... Usually, I think. It does not light up after that though. But on one of the instruments the airbag symbol does come on until it seems as though I move my rear. Even that is not consistent. I will gather some more info tomorrow and report back. I've also got a friend who has those testing devices.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

Great looking car, congratulations. Sounds like what should have been a great drive home ended up being a PITA.

I would contact the seller and let him know what you went through. I have no doubt he/she was aware of the issue. Get it fixed at a Porsche dealer and ask the seller to cover the cost. It can't hurt to ask. Good luck and keep us posted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks Chuck

Yes Chuck, it was a PITA given that I could not get comfortable trying to get the chime to stop. I'll go to the dealer... tho I hate doing that. Usually fix everything myself but this is beyond me!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Nice Spyder. Perfect color.

Good luck with getting the chime fixed. Bit of a fun sucker on what appears to have been a epic drive.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks you guys for your thoughts. Well the dealer says it is in the seatbelt buckle... and I think they are right as when I do pull and hold in one direction it seems?? to stop. Time will tell but thanks. I've owned about 7 911's in the past. I will never return as these Boxsters are truly wonderful cars. :-))
Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Montgomery View Post
Thanks you guys for your thoughts. Well the dealer says it is in the seatbelt buckle... and I think they are right as when I do pull and hold in one direction it seems?? to stop. Time will tell but thanks. I've owned about 7 911's in the past. I will never return as these Boxsters are truly wonderful cars. :-))
Do you mind sharing the asking price? No need to tell us what you actually paid. This car is probably in my top three should I have to replace my current Boxster.

I think this is the best Porsche you can buy under $100K. It's the lightest, has the improved engine regime, best handling, no electronic steering, very rare seats which most 911's do not have, maybe the last manual in a "R" Spyder without the SUV interior of the 981.

And it was quicker than the Cayman R at the hand of an ALMS professional racing driver (so no sandbagging):

ALMS professional driver: Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman R

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/196/articles/open-and-shut-case-track-test#.VDbEdPldV8E
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-09-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Montgomery View Post
I feel much the the same. While I love the old air-cooled cars they just can't be compared. I have to imagine that's doubly true with the Spyder.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Do you mind sharing the asking price? No need to tell us what you actually paid. This car is probably in my top three should I have to replace my current Boxster.

I think this is the best Porsche you can buy under $100K. It's the lightest, has the improved engine regime, best handling, no electronic steering, very rare seats which most 911's do not have, maybe the last manual in a "R" Spyder without the SUV interior of the 981.

And it was quicker than the Cayman R at the hand of an ALMS professional racing driver (so no sandbagging):

ALMS professional driver: Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman R

Excellence :: Open and Shut Case: Track Test : Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder
The selling price was $52,500. This was the best deal I could find with what I wanted. I'd been looking for about a year. They look good in any color but... mmmmm Guards Red, always a favorite. Many of the ones for sale seemed to have the PDK tranny, which is reported to be great, but just not the same. Mine also had 19,500 miles on it but was never tracked and is in very good condition. Better its not absolutely perfect or it would never come out of the garage. If you have not driven one, you'd better. But I warn you to bring your checkbook because you will want it!! All the amazing articles are true. Let me/all of us know what you do find!

Dave M.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #11

Garage
Like I told Perfect Lap, find one to drive and you will be done shopping!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Garage
Great car. Congrats. Hope the seatbelt fix works.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #13

Garage
Chimed de-chimed :-))))))

For those of you who showed empathy for my trip from San Fran to Seattle with a never ending seatbelt chime going off.... it is fixed! Porsche dealer determined it to be the buckle and even though I was a bit out of warranty, they fixed for $35. Wow, that was a pleasant surprise.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #14

Damn. I was going to offer to take it for a few weeks and see if I could fix it.

Stunning car.

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote