Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

Know anyone with a Soltice, G5, Pursuit? Cobalt, HHR or Saturn Ion, Sky?

Maybe the best article on the the GM ignition/rolling death trap:

GM’s hit and run: How a lawyer, mechanic, and engineer blew open the worst auto scandal in history | PandoDaily

As it turns out many of these affected cars are still on the road as replacement parts ran out soon after the recall and many owners did not follow up.

note to self, if offered, to not get into these cars...

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

Garage
Ever drive one? When I was looking for my 986, I went to a dealer that advertised a nice S model. When I got there, it had been sold. The salesman talked me into driving a Solstice, I was curious, so why not. What a piece of junk! First, as my wife opened the passenger door, the handle came off in her hand. We reattach it and climb in. Take off and immediately you notice the poor quality of....everything! The sad thing is, they wanted almost $19K for it, I ended up with my S(at a different dealer) for just under $14K.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #3

They handle pretty well though. I used to seem them at the autocross events and I recall one, maybe more, made it to nationals. But man I had no idea slight brush of my knee against the key chain could have been my last day on Earth.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Ever drive one? When I was looking for my 986, I went to a dealer that advertised a nice S model. When I got there, it had been sold. The salesman talked me into driving a Solstice, I was curious, so why not. What a piece of junk! First, as my wife opened the passenger door, the handle came off in her hand. We reattach it and climb in. Take off and immediately you notice the poor quality of....everything! The sad thing is, they wanted almost $19K for it, I ended up with my S(at a different dealer) for just under $14K.
I test drove one before I got my S. The door handle was off when I got to the car, and it took me forever to be able to get the roof to lock. Thank goddness, I hated the car!!!! That is an incredible story!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

Garage
What is crazy is that now a Spanish company is taking this old chassis and dropping a v8 in the front, for a friendly price upwards of 130k.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

I can say by experience the ignition problem was no joke. I have a Saturn Ion 2004 and the engine would cut off without any notice at any speed. Before the recall I had my ignition switch replaced and it worked for awhile. Always had problems starting at cold temperatures.

When I received the letter for the recall I took my car in and it sat for 3 months waiting for parts. The dealership paid for a car rental that whole time. It turned out there was a recall on the steering wheel column too. They ended up reimbursing my original ignition repair bill.

So far the car has been running fine. We'll see how it does when the weather gets a little colder.

Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote