986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engine shut off on startup until I gave her some gas (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54476)

cbbepop 10-17-2014 05:39 PM

engine shut off on startup until I gave her some gas

Hey I like some opinions on what's going on
I started the 2001 Boxster S and the engine came to life then went out immediately. No check engine light, dash was on with only the coolant light staying red.
I turned the engine off and on and the same thing happened'
3rd try I gave her some gas, just pushed the pedal 2 times and the engine stayed on and all was fine on the drive back.

Weird...there was no clicking. Is this a fuel pump issue or just fuel vapors?
I'm not sure why I even pushed the fuel pedal...just a stab in the dark. I'm glad it worked.

Any thoughts is appreciated.

NewArt 10-17-2014 07:11 PM

Was the car warm ( i.e. recently run?)

cbbepop 10-17-2014 07:20 PM

yes she was sitting around for an hour (came back from work)
then I started her up to go out get some beer and that's when the incident occurred.

cbbepop 10-18-2014 02:48 PM

kinda worried now
Today every time I start i no longer have the engine go off on me but there is a weird "sucking noise" at start up kinda like air going through a torn valve. This noise is only occurring after I did the whole gave it gas while turning the ignition key thing last night.

cypher279 10-21-2014 07:33 PM

The engine stopping has happened to me once, I didn't do any investigating and it's been months since then and it's been running fine. I would definitely look into the valve though, but know that they just might be unrelated issues.

cbbepop 10-23-2014 10:01 AM

Took it to the dealership. they said fractured coil packs and a sticky plate could be to blame. Estimate $1400 because of the zeintop in the way and costed more labor than expected :(

cbbepop 10-23-2014 01:15 PM

Now they say the sucking noise at startup is the starter. A quick google on boxster starter issue leads me to believe that they are correct. However its another $700 :(
so there we go problem solved

NewArt 10-23-2014 01:45 PM

Starter at ECS: $261. Man, you're gonna have to get your hands dirty if you want to run an old Porsche! ;)

cbbepop 10-25-2014 09:28 AM

wow ecs is a gold mine. The dealership is still charging $500 just for the starter

clickman 10-25-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbbepop (Post 422670)
Took it to the dealership. they said fractured coil packs and a sticky plate could be to blame. Estimate $1400 because of the zeintop in the way and costed more labor than expected :(

Ignition coils $43 at Pelican. Maybe cheaper at Sunset.

6 x $43 = $258

They are changed from the side through the wheel wells, so you don't have to take off the Zeintop. I could change all of mine in an hour with only a floor jack.

No idea what the "sticky plate" is.

cbbepop 10-25-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman (Post 422862)
Ignition coils $43 at Pelican. Maybe cheaper at Sunset.

6 x $43 = $258

They are changed from the side through the wheel wells, so you don't have to take off the Zeintop. I could change all of mine in an hour with only a floor jack.

No idea what the "sticky plate" is.

Thanks for the info. I am gonna have a talk with them Monday when I get the car back. I imagine the dealership would say they needed the top off to make a full diagnosis of the engine cutting out and not just drop the engine from the underside. What can anyone say to that.

clickman 10-26-2014 08:52 AM

The first thing they should be doing is connecting the car to their PIWIS or PST2 and dropping all codes.

No guessing allowed by a dealer's shop! :rolleyes: