986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake pad recommendation for STREET only? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5433)

socratic 03-19-2006 02:59 PM

Brake pad recommendation for STREET only?

I won't ever track my Box. No track nearby, for one thing.

I do like to drive spiritedly on occasion.

So I think I need a "street" pad rather than a "track" pad.

I have read the threads on pads, but most talk about higher-performance pads.

My interest is in pads that will heat up quickly on the street and thus stop well in street conditions rather than max stopping power but needing to heat them up first.

Ideally a low dust pad too. But not critical.

Should I simply get the OEM Porsche pads then?

Also, and unfortunately, I didn't check the pads before and now have the "Brake Wear" light on. Am I facing the replacement of the sensors as well?

Should I replace pads on all 4 wheels or only on the axle that needs it?
I'm planning on replacing the brake fluid at this time too.

I am good with a screwdriver and a wrench, but I do note that the brakes are what are between me and what I could hit at 100Mph, so I'm not overly keen on doing this myself despite how easy it is supposed to be.

bluelagoon 03-19-2006 05:00 PM

Go with stock or Paged pads .

blinkwatt 03-19-2006 05:21 PM

I just got done replacing my original pads with Pagid pads and have loved them since installation. They are great,stop the car in a fast manner,do not squel and I havent had a problem with them. I paid $130 front and back with free shipping from www.************************************************************ . I can not emphasize how easy it is to change the pads out either,took me 1.5 hours front and back,saved $220 from the dealer. Directions are here;
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/
Good luck!

rbennett 03-19-2006 05:51 PM

blinkwatt,

Were your pads the Pagid "Blues"??? These are the pads I allways use. but have never found them for that price :)

blinkwatt 03-19-2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbennett
blinkwatt,

Were your pads the Pagid "Blues"??? These are the pads I allways use. but have never found them for that price :)

I do not think so,you can check out ******************************** website if you want. They came in blue box and were all black if that helps.

MNBoxster 03-19-2006 06:20 PM

Hi,

Ditto on the OEM pads, they're pretty tough to beat, especially for the price. If you are good with a wrench and screwdriver, swapping the Pads and Flushing the Brakes should pose no problem for you at all. Make sure you have a power bleeder (the Motive is probably the best to use) and follow the simple directions. Also, if you don't have one, buy a cheap Vernier Caliper to check the Rotor thickness to be sure these are within spec. A Plastic Vernier Caliper can be had at any Loews, Menards, etc, for under $5 (Stanley makes one I believe) and is sufficient to do the job.

So far as the Wear Sensors, these are merely wires which wear through and are a simple Plug & Play. They are cheap and you'll only need to replace the one(s) which have worn through and your CEL will go off. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

KRZTACO 03-20-2006 09:39 AM

OEM Pads are good Prices from Sunset Porsche in Oregon (no sales tax).

Boxster S prices:

OEM Pads
Front: $103.42
Rear: $82.72

OEM Rotors:
Front: 104.44
Rear: 102.42

I've heard Pagid Blue are a great OEM replacement with less dust, but probably more expensive.

KRZ

insite 03-20-2006 11:40 AM

ebs racing has pagid black (street pads) for $111/ front and $68/ rear.

socratic 03-26-2006 02:04 PM

I decided to go with the OEM Porsche pads from the local dealership.

Interestingly, when I opened the Porsche box, the pads were labeled "Brembo".

I had read from others on this site that the Brembo pads were the optional high-friction ones.

They were the same ones that came with my 2001 Boxster as that as what the mechanic removed.

The rotors were both at 22.68mm thickness, so still slightly above the minimum thickness. I had not bothered to order new rotors as others here had said that usually the rotors are replaced at the 2nd pad change. I wonder if fact that the rotors are so close to the minimum thickness (only 0.68mm above min thickness) is due to the high-friction Brembo pads originally on the Boxster.

It's also interesting that the stock pads are now the Brembos. (I had not asked for any thing other than stock pads).

I'll detail what it all cost me in another thread as others may be interested in my approach.

Adam 03-26-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socratic
I decided to go with the OEM Porsche pads from the local dealership.

Interestingly, when I opened the Porsche box, the pads were labeled "Brembo".

This is a good thing. I plan to do the same. Way too many pads out there perform less and squeal more. There are some things you should try to "go around the dealer" with and this is not one of them imo....same with rotors too.