986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chevy Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54293)

BYprodriver 10-01-2014 09:51 AM

Chevy Boxster?

Next Corvette design might use Boxster as their design baseline?

C8 Chevrolet Corvette Exclusive! What to Expect from the Heart-stopping Mid-Engined Zora! – Feature – Car and Driver

Timco 10-01-2014 09:56 AM

Looks more like a Cayman.

mikeman 10-01-2014 01:25 PM

They've been teasing a MR setup for generations... That actually looks pretty neat tho.

Joe B 10-01-2014 01:32 PM

It's a Chevrolet...:barf:.

BIGJake111 10-01-2014 04:23 PM

You have to respect gm for getting their act together to an extent, it is a shame that they couldn't have took the time to do that with their own money, I would imagine that the new caddies are plenty nice enough for the average American buyer.

However, I must say few things frustrate me more than the average owner of an older Chevy, a fine gentleman double parked his Silverado in a handicap next to me just 30 mins ago.

coreseller 10-01-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 420235)
It's a Chevrolet...:barf:.

Brilliant!!

Last I looked the LS series of motors weren't quite up to 24 identifiable modes of failure.....................Just Sayin'

ep3_lol 10-02-2014 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 420257)
Brilliant!!

Last I looked the LS series of motors weren't quite up to 24 identifiable modes of failure.....................Just Sayin'

It's a shame that their cars are repulsive. In a subjective sense, of course :p

ChrisZang 10-02-2014 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 420224)
Looks more like a Cayman.

lotus Evora comes to mind

Joe B 10-02-2014 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 420257)

So buy a Chevy. And the new Corvette will be a steal at an expected $150,000! I think I'll keep my $14,000 2003 S Boxster ;).

Perfectlap 10-02-2014 10:06 AM

In the newstand edition of that they have a few well known designers take a stab at a midengine Chevy. I think Cam Pardo's (of new 'GT40' fame) is the design that was picked (he even uses the seat in his desk)

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...lo-Pardo-2.jpg

I have never understood why Chevrolet didn't do something like this sooner, especially when the Cayman first came out 7 years ago. They showed that they can churn out a Ferrari-esque front end with the C7, the back is still a bit controversial, I happen to like it for being radical but would have preffered something Aventador'ish, and the interior is more appealing to me than the SUV aesthetic that Porsche now uses. All that's left is to stick the engine in the middle and shrink the C7 down a bit. Maybe add RWS like the 991 GT3. With cooling for everything to give some track durability.
GM can easily build this car. The Z/28 is already a beast that can make a GT-R look like its trying hard, and not just in straight lines.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...s-original.jpg

njbray 10-02-2014 02:59 PM

I wonder if the 911 is getting close to its' limit. It seems that each update has more computer control needed to handle the power. I think there must be a limit on how far they can go with the motor hanging out the back! Maybe the Cayman/Boxster will take over (already happening?). All super cars are mid-engine, even Porsches (GT & 918).

Perfectlap 10-02-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbray (Post 420354)
I wonder if the 911 is getting close to its' limit. It seems that each update has more computer control needed to handle the power. I think there must be a limit on how far they can go with the motor hanging out the back! Maybe the Cayman/Boxster will take over (already happening?). All super cars are mid-engine, even Porsches (GT & 918).

I think it's more the case that the flat6 has reached its limit than where the engine goes. All the 991 GT3 engine issues seem to flatter this view.
And that the new Porsche super car meant to rival the Ferrari sprint racers will be mid-engined with a rumored turbo flat8 seems like the writing is indeed on the wall for their flagship. And Porsche has been selling more four doors than Carreras for a while now. So no anything that limits occupants to only two seat belts will not be taking over, Porsche is now a luxury brand first with a few sports cars tossed in for variety.

coreseller 10-02-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 420296)
So buy a Chevy. And the new Corvette will be a steal at an expected $150,000! I think I'll keep my $14,000 2003 S Boxster ;).

You completely missed the point........:rolleyes:

thstone 10-02-2014 07:39 PM

I'll believe it when it actually reaches show room floors.

Chevy has been using the "mid-engine" ruse to pump up interest in the Corvette for four car generations over 40 years.

Do you really think that GM somehow now all of a sudden has the balls to do something original? Me either.