Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Convertible Operation and Storage Box Linked?

I've had intermittent problems with the convertible top motor not cutting on when the top is in the down position, and it's not the microswitches, sensors, relay, or motor that have gone completely bad. Usually I drive around for a few days and it starts working again. I've had it all apart several times, greased connections, and all the friction points, and it's not binding to my knowledge.

The only correlation I've seen to the top suddenly stop working, is when I open the storage box and try to close it, but it won't stay shut. Then the light next to the key illuminates. After a while, the lever will hold it close and the light goes off eventually. Need to replace that little catch and lever, I guess.

Anyways, would having the tray popped open on a healthy car, send a signal, similar to the parking brake sensor, to not let the top operate? I only ask because it seems that there has been a 1-2 punch with this happening a few times now. Could be a coincidence too.

The only other thing I can see a correlation to, is the cruise control light comes on randomly, and the alarm control unit, or whatever it is called, is probably not functioning properly. Key fob will not unlock doors, and the red "locked light" will cut on while driving sometimes too. I get a few beeps after I lock it, even if driving!

I figured that has more to do with the storage box; something electrical and it's frustrating to pin down, so I'm seeing if there could be anything else besides the major things that would tell the computer to deactivate it? Alarm unit going south possible cause? Thanks all!

Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

Garage
You mean the ashtray in the center console with the sprung lid?

You are probably hitting the e-brake wire with the lid, and when you move the wire (by opening and closing the lid) a certain way, the top stops because it no longer sees that the brake is activated.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #3

It's a lockable storage area in the center console. This is the lid. Sorry no other pics:

They might have done away with it when a glove box was added to the later models.

The parking brake light comes on fine, though. Is it possible the light illuminates, but the sensor is not being triggered?
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

Garage
Ah, that storage box.

I'm not sure of the circuit for the brake handle, but if the box sometimes doesnt close properly, theres probably a problem with the latch mechanism, which ties to the security system (makes the horn honk when you lock the car if the lid isnt closed), so MAYBE it could affect the top operation, but thats a long shot.

You will have to take the center console off to troubleshoot it though, and you can check out the wires. They could be shorting, causing other weird problems with the alarm system/top.

Since so many random things are happening, it could also be the ignition switch, which isnt hard or expensive to replace

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote