986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Strange radio phenomenon (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54150)

Giller 09-21-2014 08:46 AM

Strange radio phenomenon

Okay, searched but have had no luck. Every now and then when listening to CDs,my radio will "crackle and beep" - hard to describe. Almost like it's getting some internal electrical interference (can't be external as it's the cd not the radio). Sounds a bit like morse code coming through. Thoughts? Thanks.

TeamOxford 09-21-2014 08:58 AM

Venusians.

Just sayin'..........

TO

nicecar 09-21-2014 04:44 PM

cd does the same thing when real hot

Luckyed 09-22-2014 06:46 AM

I notice the same thing when I first start out, but is seems to dissipate.
(and odd that I only seem to hear it from the right side)

Not enough to bring me to do anything more than get prices on having a double din head unit installed.

For now I will deal with it.

gmboxster 09-22-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 418980)
Okay, searched but have had no luck. Every now and then when listening to CDs,my radio will "crackle and beep" - hard to describe. Almost like it's getting some internal electrical interference (can't be external as it's the cd not the radio). Sounds a bit like morse code coming through. Thoughts? Thanks.

Mine does exactly the same thing after about 20 - 30 minutes of playing time. However it sounds great for the first 30 minutes. Weird as hell.

gmboxster 09-22-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicecar (Post 419035)
cd does the same thing when real hot

YES !!! When mine heats up the sound quality drops significantly.

KevinH1990 09-22-2014 05:31 PM

One of the common problems with the radios is dirty contacts on the CD door. You might want to try cleaning the contacts to see whether that addresses the problem.

DrCactus 09-23-2014 04:12 AM

I had this same issue - turned out to be because of my Cell phone. Cell phone sends and gets signals and its that what was causing the issue. Try driving out in the country area without your cell phone with you.... see if it still does it.

boxster6354 09-23-2014 04:46 AM

With top down driving the laser does get dirty quicker than a home unit or in a hard top, when I had the OEM HU I had cleaned it a few times a year and resolved the issues.

Here is a link to what I used but if you search I am sure you can find similar or better.

Amazon.com: Discwasher Rd1142 Cd/dvd Laser Lens Cleaners [2-brush; Wet]: Everything Else

:cheers:

Giller 09-23-2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 419231)
I had this same issue - turned out to be because of my Cell phone. Cell phone sends and gets signals and its that what was causing the issue. Try driving out in the country area without your cell phone with you.... see if it still does it.

I did a bigger google search and this came up a few times. Somehow cell phones can causes interference with the speakers and makes that morse-code like noise. I had assumed that because I was using the CD and not the radio, the interference had to be internal, not external. Thanks Doc!