986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   986 S vs. WRX Sti (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5410)

KRZTACO 03-17-2006 07:55 AM

986 S vs. WRX Sti

Note* I do not approve any type of street racing. Furthermore the Boxster S is not designed to be a drag racing car*

F@&K that....A WRX wanted to play, so I was like, "Alright, but I'll smoke you" on the drive into work on the freeway this morning.

Dropped it into 5th and off we were. I got into 4200 RPM's and I knew my UberVTEC kicked in, so I was good. Then I noticed he was now only 6 car lengths behind, :eek: but gaining, slowly but creeping up! WTF....this was no stock WRX!

I shut it down in the 120's and he pulled up next to me and I noticed he debadged the STi and took off the wing. Pretty cool that I could keep pace with something at least 70HP more than me.

WRX Sti: 320HP (inlcudes intake and exhaust)
986 S: 250HP

to the ground:

WRX Sti: 234HP (4wd loss)
986 S: 210-219??

Are my HP a little off, or good guestimates?

KRZ

Porschekid 03-17-2006 08:39 AM

Everyone always throws up the BS flag on me but I swear on the life of my first born that I kept up with an '04 Supercharged Saleen Mustang in a 60-120mph run. By the end my car was still on his rear bumper when he shut it down for a bend. This is in a non-S 2.7 Boxster. They might not be the fastest at the strip but once they are moving, they're fast at high speeds.

BTW: Clear straight freeway, no cars ahead (drive safely). ;)

denverpete 03-17-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Note* I do not approve any type of street racing. Furthermore the Boxster S is not designed to be a drag racing car*

F@&K that....A WRX wanted to play, so I was like, "Alright, but I'll smoke you" on the drive into work on the freeway this morning.
KRZ

And yet, there you were on the freeway, in the morning, reaching 120 MPH? What in the world gives you the right to risk everyone's life simply because a "WRX wanted to play"?
Quote:

Pretty cool that I could keep pace with something at least 70HP more than me.
KRZ

No, it's really not cool. Seriously.....

KRZTACO 03-17-2006 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
No, it's really not cool. Seriously.....

Relax, it's casual Friday, and I did put my disclaimer. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
:matchup:

This is a board to share experiences and information. I do understand Grand Master Bruce Lee does not condone street racing. Therefore I do not condone street racing. But then again Porsche doesn't like street racing, however my speedo goes to 165???

KRZ

Perfectlap 03-17-2006 09:59 AM

don't know about that 1/4 mile racing
but The STI is no joke in the turns. Chews up the 996 911, 993 and BoxsterS in my Autocross class and spitz them out in little bite size morsels. A modded exhaust on that car is LOUD and MEAN. Engine is bullet proof (unlike the mitsu EVO's).

Great car and price, too bad its got boy racer looks.

l8braker 03-17-2006 10:02 AM

If you were to race in the proper enviro of course haha

0-60 he'd jump a little, but after 60 you should pull on him and keep on going by him.

Also if you were in 5th at 120 you were in the wrong gear. 4th goes into the 120's. 3rd will take you to 102-103.

My car is dead even with a 355......that has 385 crank bhp so I can keep up with a car that has 135 more crank bhp. S2000, S4, m3(e36) can pull away from them all. 91 corvette with 300bhp bout even same with 350z 287bhp. Every car is different, but I'm very very impressed with the 250hp Boxster S.

l8braker 03-17-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Chews up the 996 911, 993 and BoxsterS in my Autocross class and spitz them out in little bite size morsels.

That is hilarious! In our autocross group a boxster S whips everyone. 3 different driver in the same car all set fast time one being fastet of the day. This is with 10-15 sub's in the group. This isn't my car either just some guys I've watched.

Here is a link to the results...... this was a few years ago but still. Scroll all the way down to the bottom fist in SS class.
http://www.highlandssportscarclub.com/old_site/00belechere.htm

Carl AMG 03-17-2006 10:25 AM

Subaru HP

The power on a modded WRX (2.0L) or STi (2.5L)could be widely varied depending on what has been done to the car. My 2.0L WRX engine is modified with turboback exhaust, UTEC chip, bigger top mount intercooler and a cold air intake. I make around 250hp to the wheels with the stock turbo on 93 octane pump gas. The 2.5L should do that or better than that with a exhaust and intake.

From a pure power perspective I give the Suby the edge. Handling I would give the Boxster the edge. I have quite a few handling modifications but my 987S's handling is in a different league.

mjw930 03-17-2006 10:31 AM

I didn't see an WRX STi listed as competition in those results.

The STi is a beast, we had one at the last auto cross driven by an SCCA Solo National finalist and it was 3 seconds faster than the fastest Boxster S and 1.5 seconds faster than a fully prepped 944S on race tires driven by another national finalist.

That same STi driver took out the stock class 987S winner's car and pretty much matched it's winning time (still 3 seconds slower then the STi).

BTW, the STi was driven from the dealership to the track, it had less than 200 miles on it.

Now, when you figure in the PAX handicap a 986S ended up the class winner and was within .15 seconds (adjusted) of the STi.

If they weren't so butt ugly I might consider one...... Nah, just sooped up rice :D

l8braker 03-17-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930
I didn't see an WRX STi listed as competition in those results.

Yeah and according to them it is a stock Boxster not an S.......they don't have enough room to list it all.

KRZTACO 03-17-2006 10:55 AM

In my past AutoX (results have been taken down), I did beat a Mitsubishi EVO. The course was really tight, it even included a 180 turn. The EVO just couldn't boost the whole time, too much lag. Should the course been a little straighter then he could have made better times.

KRZ

Brucelee 03-17-2006 10:56 AM

Now that you put your own life and those on the road around you at risk, don't you feel quite proud of yourself.

So, lets move on from this topic voluntarily.

I suggest you start tracking your car and learn not to risk my life because you lack impulse control.

:troll:

Quote:

Dropped it into 5th and off we were. I got into 4200 RPM's and I knew my UberVTEC kicked in, so I was good. Then I noticed he was now only 6 car lengths behind, :eek: but gaining, slowly but creeping up! WTF....this was no stock WRX!

I shut it down in the 120's and he pulled up next to me and I noticed he debadged the STi and took off the wing. Pretty cool that I could keep pace with something at least 70HP more than me.

WRX Sti: 320HP (inlcudes intake and exhaust)
986 S: 250HP

to the ground:

WRX Sti: 234HP (4wd loss)
986 S: 210-219??

Are my HP a little off, or good guestimates?

KRZ

KRZTACO 03-17-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
Now that you put your own life and those on the road around you at risk, don't you feel quite proud of yourself.

So, lets move on from this topic voluntarily.

I suggest you start tracking your car and learn not to risk my life because you lack impulse control.

:troll:

1) I was a little excited this morning. Thank you for asking :cool:
2) Moving on, no more said just sharing an experience (Deep down we are all just Ricers with expensive cars).
3) I do participate in all of the available PCA Sanctioned AutoX events possible.

Here's the next one in our area that I have kindly posted:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5408

KRZ

MNBoxster 03-17-2006 11:06 AM

Hi,

The WRX is a serious contender no doubt, but at it's heart, it is still a Sedan. It may go Fast, even Faster, but, IMHO, it lacks the type of visceral response you get from a proper Sports Car.

If all you want is Fast, then there is lots of competition, but that's excluding the Total Package which the Boxster, among others, offers.

So far as Auto-X results, there are so many variables such as course layout, track surface, ambient temperatures, tire/brake condition, and of course, the driver, that direct comparisons are difficult.

Also, Auto-X is much more of a individual test than a field competition despite compiling and comparing times. I don't Auto-X to beat the other guys, I Auto-X to improve my Times and Driving (read smoothness) on each run - the never-ending search for the Perfect Run. How it all shakes out in the end is of secondary importance. But that said, I expect that the Subi will hold it's own among the field with even a minimally competent driver, the Car itself can make up for a lot of sins.

For me, the question becomes: Which do I want to drive home at the end of the day? And in this, the Boxster wins hands down...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

KRZTACO 03-17-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

For me, the question becomes: Which do I want to drive home at the end of the day? And in this, the Boxster wins hands down...

Jim..that is the very reason why I chose the Boxster over:

Neon SRT-4, 350z, G35 Coupe, S2K, and the Evo

Anyone can drive fast, but at the end of the day I love peaking into my garage and that Gold hood crest just shimmering.

:cheers:

Brucelee 03-17-2006 11:38 AM

"(Deep down we are all just Ricers with expensive cars"

One can only speak for oneself!

:D

Carl AMG 03-17-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

So far as Auto-X results, there are so many variables such as course layout, track surface, ambient temperatures, tire/brake condition, and of course, the driver, that direct comparisons are difficult.

Agreed. If people want to compare autocross results and scratch their heads look at the various 2004 season event results of our MB club. You wouldn't expect my C32 AMG (a 3700 lb. automatic sedan with an open differential) with a driver with three events experience at the time to beat some of the competition (including Boxsters, 911s, EVOs, STI) listed in the results.

http://www.gws-mbca.org/ax/autocross.html

wild1poet2 03-17-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Hi,

The WRX is a serious contender no doubt, but at it's heart, it is still a Sedan. It may go Fast, even Faster, but, IMHO, it lacks the type of visceral response you get from a proper Sports Car.

Jim is right on. The folks looking for a brute power adrenaline rush are always going to see the Boxster as a girl's car. We know better because we've been around machinery awhile and we appreciate a "proper sports car".

If anyone out there has never taken their Porsche over the speed limit on a public road with clear sights, please turn in your man card and buy a Prius. ;)

RandallNeighbour 03-17-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Jim..that is the very reason why I chose the Boxster over:
Neon SRT-4, 350z, G35 Coupe, S2K, and the Evo

NEON? You actually considered a hopped-up NEON? :barf:

Danger Will Robinson, Danger! :eek:

mjw930 03-18-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

Agrees 100% but that's part of the reason they invented PAX.

Quote:

Also, Auto-X is much more of a individual test than a field competition despite compiling and comparing times. I don't Auto-X to beat the other guys, I Auto-X to improve my Times and Driving (read smoothness) on each run - the never-ending search for the Perfect Run. How it all shakes out in the end is of secondary importance.

Sorry Jim, I have to disagree with you on this one. When I take the car to timed track event I'm there to WIN, second place is the first loser.

Now, DE's, that's a different story since it's not a timed event (not supposed to be anyway) and there are no "Winners" and "Losers"

Quote:

For me, the question becomes: Which do I want to drive home at the end of the day? And in this, the Boxster wins hands down... Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Agreed :cheers: