986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   FOR SALE: Automatic Roof mod (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54027)

BoxsterSteve 03-13-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toppy986 (Post 440149)
So it would not work in 99, as big block has indicated?

Different part for 97-99, different part number & pin outs.

Smallblock454 03-13-2015 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As far as i know the latest version of the original smartTOP STAXPE1 Boxster 986 module works for all 986 Boxsters. It is a modified OEM relais with additional electronic circuits. Don't know if there are earlier versions that do not work for all cars.

The Robotop kit is something completely different. It emulates somebody who presses the the roof button until it's completey up, or down. This can be done with an Andruino and some programming skills for 15-20 USD. I never would buy what i saw on the Robotop product page for usage in a car, because of humidity and heat. So if someone aks for 79,95 i would ask for a wheater sealed and electronically correct circuit.

And i'm shure you know the cheapest hack that allows the opening and closing while driving. But you have to press the button the whole time. So no one-touch solution for open and close.

amagalla 03-14-2015 08:20 AM

What version is this? There are a number available. Robotop, SmartTop, and the Comfort top (developed by Shehadehd and I think the best).

Chuck W. 03-14-2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagalla (Post 440225)
and the Comfort top (developed by Shehadehd and I think the best).

I have to agree. I bought two, one for me and a gift for my brother. The personal attention and customer support is unrivaled (IMHO).

mountainman 03-14-2015 09:28 AM

I bought one of these for my 996 because it was advertised to work on all 986 and 996 models. It did not work on the 996, in fact with it installed the top would not work at all and threw a fault code. I did get a refund minus shipping both ways. Out $30 for nothing. Bought a smart top and all is great. Might work great on your boxster but did not work on the 996 and since it attaches to the back of the top switch they should be the same. Maybe I got a bad one.

particlewave 03-14-2015 09:38 AM

You might get more interest if you mention which unit it is ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 417876)
Hey guys, I have an extra automatic roof mod that is plug and play. For some reason when I ordered mine I had put by mistake Quantity 2 and was charged for both. Sadly, they would not change my order. Anyhow, so I have a extra one if anyone would like to buy it. I'll take $100 and will include shipping to you.

Thanks guys
cheers.

Note: to make sure the plug and play mod will work I will only sell to someone with a 2001 Boxster or Boxster S as I have tested it myself in my own car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 440119)
If there was any way to confirm it would work on a 2002 base, I would definitely be interested, especially if it's plug/play! Simplicity is important for me...... :-)

Smallblock454 03-14-2015 11:49 AM

Hi,

i agree - the Comfort Top relay module sounds good. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51527-all-new-comfort-top-5.html

But for people that now some Arduino programming that is still easy to do. ;)

mountainman 03-14-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 440236)
You might get more interest if you mention which unit it is ;)

If you look at the picture you will see that there is a small flat circuit board that has been inserted between the back of the top control switch and the wiring harness. No name on it, just an inch square circuit board with a couple of transistors on it.

particlewave 03-14-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 440275)
If you look at the picture you will see that there is a small flat circuit board that has been inserted between the back of the top control switch and the wiring harness. No name on it, just an inch square circuit board with a couple of transistors on it.

That's the one that Smallblock posted. I was referring the the one that the OP is selling ;)

...unless I missed something.

tonichristi 03-16-2015 10:06 AM

Hey "Dr. Cactus"!
Which module is this (brand/type)!?!

DrCactus 03-18-2015 09:19 AM

This is my robotop mod i bought - just like the photo SmallBlock454 posted.