Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

Turn Vinyl Dashboard into Leather Dashboard

Hey everyone. So I have a '99 Boxster right now, Lapis blue exterior, black leather seats, black plastic center console and a black vinyl dashboard. I've really been thinking about doing some (relatively) cheap upgrades to the car to keep it from looking too outdated. So far I want to get a new front bumper (too much stone damage since it's the original bumper), buff out some scratches and do some reconditioning of my leather seats.

Now, one of my more ambitious project ideas is to wrap the dashboard, console, and vinyl part of doors in leather. I was thinking of using an industrial epoxy to adhesive the leather to the vinyl and plastic. I plan on wrapping the entire dashboard too, and maybe do some new paint on the trunk/frunk latch component on the side and things like that.

My question is, do you think it's a good idea? I think it'll definitely update the look of the car, but I'm just worried about bubbling in the leather or it peeling back up from the edges. Also, what color should I go with? I'm debating between a jet black, a navy blue and a dark gray interior. To be honest, I'd totally love a red leather interior like current Porsche models can get but it won't go well with my cars exterior color. :/

Let me know what you guys think or any tips you guys may have!

(PS, another project is an iPad mini installation like this thread talked about, but I'll need some help on that one.)

austinkthompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster , dashboard , interior , leather , porsche