986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CAR RAMPS ? Yay or Nay (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53974)

gmboxster 09-06-2014 05:15 PM

CAR RAMPS ? Yay or Nay

Do any of you use car ramps for simple jobs like oil changes, etc ? If so, do you have any Pros and Cons for their use ?

BoxsterSteve 09-06-2014 05:40 PM

I use regular Rhino ramps. They work fine for oil changes, radiator cleaning and the like.
I've also got 20" high stands I made of 2-by lumber that get the car high enough for serious underside work.

nicecar 09-06-2014 05:54 PM

yes, way easy

coreseller 09-06-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmboxster (Post 417418)
Do any of you use car ramps for simple jobs like oil changes, etc ? If so, do you have any Pros and Cons for their use ?

Yay. For oil and filter changes you can't beat them for ease of use, quick set-up not to mention the price.

opus69 09-06-2014 07:15 PM

I have ramps and have used them in the past but I like the highet clearance of jackstands.

rp17 09-07-2014 07:21 AM

I broke down and got a set of ramps to compliment the my four jack stands. Only used them once so far. Tad bit safer while under the car. Do you guys drive up the ramps or jack the car up?

Jager 09-07-2014 08:43 AM

You are not level with ramps and not all of the oil will drain-out.

gmboxster 09-07-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 417459)
I broke down and got a set of ramps to compliment the my four jack stands. Only used them once so far. Tad bit safer while under the car. Do you guys drive up the ramps or jack the car up?

I would think you would drive up the ramps first and then use jacks as extra safety. You wouldnt need the ramps if you use the jacks first.

BoxsterSteve 09-07-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 417466)
You are not level with ramps and not all of the oil will drain-out.

I am too. :p
My driveway is sloped perfectly so that when I get the back of the car on the ramps, it sits level.

nicecar 09-08-2014 01:57 PM

I can only use ramps for the rear ,car is to low in front? Or am I missing something?

steved0x 09-08-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 417487)
I am too. :p
My driveway is sloped perfectly so that when I get the back of the car on the ramps, it sits level.

Mine too, I have a place right when I back out of the garage where I can back on to them and then the car is perfectly level, and also a place out front. My only issue is sometimes when I drive off the ramps it will shoot one of the ramps backwards and drop the side down more rapidly. So now I just have somebody push me off. For an oil change it is plenty of room. For probably everything else I would just jack it up and put it on the stands. I have the heavier duty rhino ramps, and I have never tried driving onto them from the front, I am not sure if it would clear or not.

Edit: I guess I am "a" Boxster Steve too, but not "the" BoxsterSteve :)

BoxsterSteve 09-08-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 417618)
Mine too, I have a place right when I back out of the garage where I can back on to them and then the car is perfectly level, and also a place out front. My only issue is sometimes when I drive off the ramps it will shoot one of the ramps backwards and drop the side down more rapidly. So now I just have somebody push me off. For an oil change it is plenty of room. For probably everything else I would just jack it up and put it on the stands. I have the heavier duty rhino ramps, and I have never tried driving onto them from the front, I am not sure if it would clear or not.

Edit: I guess I am "a" Boxster Steve too, but not "the" BoxsterSteve :)

Mine clear just fine from the front.
I once shot both ramps out about 40 feet with the old 5.0 'Stang.
Just because.

nicecar 09-08-2014 07:27 PM

rake

maybe the rake on a 02 is different than 00? My ramps are rino as well, anggle could be sharper on them.