Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Garage
hardtop

Looking for a factory porsche hardtop for the winter. Car already has the mounting points. Now just have to actually find a hardtop. Does anyone know any aftermarket manufacturers or where to find an OEM? any info, hardtop pics, pricing info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by OklahomaBoxster; 09-01-2014 at 09:12 AM.
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
Looking for a factory porsche hardtop for the winter. Car already has the mounting points. Now just have to actually find a hardtop. Does anyone know any aftermarket manufacturers or where to find an OEM? any info, hardtop pics, pricing info is greatly appreciated.
OEM would be the easiest to find and fit best. They're for sale here occasionally, on CL and elsewhere. There's an Arctic Silver top for sale for $600 in Markham, ON, if you can travel. I'd jump on it at that price, by my car is summer use only and only has the top up when I'm washing it or if it rains.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

A barrier that many people face is that most sellers are reluctant to ship a hard top. Here's a thread with information on proper shipping technique. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/11880-hardtop-dimensions-transportation-ideas.html

I traveled 300 miles to pick mine up, so you may want to determine the distance you are willing to travel and then plot out a search strategy including the Porsche forums, auction sites and CL.

One technique that I used successfully when I had a Miata was to ask people selling cars with hard tops whether they were willing to sell the top separately. That allowed them to lower their asking price.

Also, you say that you already have the mounting points. You may want to verify that since most cars don't come with the spinlock receivers already installed. There is a hole for the spinlocks on all cars, but you need to buy the kit. Just search on spinlock and you will see numerous discussions.

Good luck with your search.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
OB - since we're only about 40 miles away from each other, I'll share my efforts on finding a hard top. As you know, we aren't in the middle of Porsche central...

I looked locally (OKC, Tulsa, and DFW) for several years and didn't find anything, or wasn't fast enough to grab one when I did. Then, this summer, I found an Arctic Silver top in Dallas (listed here on the board) that I bought. Less than two weeks later I found another top in Tulsa (Orient Red Metallic) that I snagged. Then, two weeks ago a black one was on Craigslist in Dallas (missed it) and last week I found another black one about 1 1/2 hour east of Tulsa (missed it too).

So... they are very hit/miss around here. When you find one, move fast and don't be afraid to drive to get it.

Check the sale board here and on other forums. I look on Craigslist everyday and I have a standing order w/ several of the salvage yards if they get one. Also - if you find a car for sale that has one, either private or dealer, call them up and ask if they will sell the top separate. A used dealer may jump on something like that, since the top doesn't add that much value to the car for most people.

Keep looking - you'll find one. Plan to pay $1,000-1,300 when you find one around here.

Also - you say you have the mounting points - are the spinlocks installed? You'll need them to secure the roof.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50976-hard-top.html

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Hardtop and Installation Kit - 986 / 987

Good luck,

Rick
Old 09-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I'm curious, Rick. What do you do with four hardtops? Do you have four Boxsters, or do you just wear them out faster than average?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #6

Garage
I really enjoy my hard top!

Best of luck finding one, they are lightweight and easy to remove and such. Mine fits in the bed of my fathers f150 so they can be hard to transport but manageable, if you have the locks, use the boxster as transport, hope you can find a good one. I hear prices are working their way up with cheap boxsters being easy targets to make spec racer cars, the oem hardtop being mandatory.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
I'm curious, Rick. What do you do with four hardtops? Do you have four Boxsters, or do you just wear them out faster than average?

1998 - Black
1999 - Sage Green Metallic
2000 - Arctic Silver
2001S - Guards Red
2002S - Arctic Silver

I'm on an active hunt for another '97-'99 for a Spec Boxster build.

and...

1999 996 aerokit
1990 944S2 cabriolet
3 1984 928S (project cars)
1971 914 (project car)

It's an addiction that started many years ago...
Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I really enjoy my hard top! Best of luck finding one, they are lightweight and easy to remove and such. Mine fits in the bed of my fathers f150 so they can be hard to transport but manageable, if you have the locks, use the boxster as transport, hope you can find a good one. I hear prices are working their way up with cheap boxsters being easy targets to make spec racer cars, the oem hardtop being mandatory.
Jake - I get jealous every time I see a picture of your car!

Hardtops are mandatory on the Spec cars, but not necessarily OEM. There are several different aftermarket tops built specifically for racing. Here's one...

Boxster racing parts

Rick
Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Jake - I get jealous every time I see a picture of your car!

Hardtops are mandatory on the Spec cars, but not necessarily OEM. There are several different aftermarket tops built specifically for racing. Here's one...

Boxster racing parts

Rick
Thanks for the correction, and i am always willing to trade for your 996 and 914 as a package deal
Old 09-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the correction, and i am always willing to trade for your 996 and 914 as a package deal
Here you go...
Crappy cell phone pics, but you get the idea.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
To get a thorough search I also use "Boxter""

This is probably about a 4 hour drive: Porsche Boxter Hard Top (96-04)
Offer him $1100 and meet him in Tulsa?
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Here you go...

Crappy cell phone pics, but you get the idea.

Two of the best! Regardless of crappy cell phone photography. (The camera and filters is what makes my car look so young)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:

There are about 25 Porsche 914's at Blackforest Porsche Racing shop in Denver NC.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
To get a thorough search I also use "Boxter""

This is probably about a 4 hour drive: Porsche Boxter Hard Top (96-04)
Offer him $1100 and meet him in Tulsa?
Sold on eBay a couple of days ago. That's the one east of Tulsa I missed.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #15

I have been actively hunting for one for a while now. Twice I have responded to Craigslist ads only to find they are 996 tops.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #16

I love my 2-tone combo, if you can't find color matching hardtop then a black hardtop is a good alternative, it's the "universal color"! (you can also dip and wrap it)
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48629-basalt-black-hardtop-carrara-white-986-a-2.html

Old 09-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-r View Post
I love my 2-tone combo, if you can't find color matching hardtop then a black hardtop is a good alternative, it's the "universal color"! (you can also dip and wrap it)
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48629-basalt-black-hardtop-carrara-white-986-a-2.html

That looks great! i am thinking of painting my window posts and mirrors black. Are the insides of your headlights also painted?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #18

Quote:
That looks great! i am thinking of painting my window posts and mirrors black. Are the insides of your headlights also painted?
Thanks! My headlights are stock 2003, not painted.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-r View Post
Thanks! My headlights are stock 2003, not painted.
ohh okay. they looked kind of black inside. must just be the lighting.