986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   bmussatti - When are you getting your car??? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5389)

luxury1 03-14-2006 01:02 PM

bmussatti - When are you getting your car???

Hi bmussatti,

You are always such a great participant on this forum and helped me buy my car by giving great advice and locating the vehicle (which I am very grateful), so I am wondering when you are picking up yours??? I believe you mentioned that you will be picking it up this month?

Also, what was the result with the roll bar issue? Did they paint it yet?

Luxury1

bmussatti 03-14-2006 01:10 PM

Hey Luxury! I am picking up my 987S on Monday the 27th in Dayton!! :D

The Roll Bar will be corrected by that time.

I will put on about 1,200 miles in 5 days, since I'll be visiting some of my customers in Southern and Northern Ohio, and then in the Indy area on my way home to Chicago. So, I'll be about 2/3 of the way through the break-in period by the time I get home Friday evening.

I'll get the first oil change done on Saturday (already have an appointment) and hope to put another 400 miles in on the weekend.

I can't wait to do my first treatment of Zaino over that weekend too.

I'll post pictures in early April.

Thanks for the positive comments!!

bmussatti 03-15-2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbth
Why the oil change?

Every car I have ever owned (12 total, including company cars) I have always done the first oil change at the 1,000 mile mark. A lot of people think this is "old school" but for the $110 I'll get a lot of "peace of mind"! Then I'll do yearly oil changes, prior to winter storage, since my mileage will be about 4-5,000 during the 7 months I plan to drive it per year.

mach schnell 03-15-2006 01:39 PM

hey bmussati

sounds like you're very conservative and that certainly is not a bad thing, but when I picked up my 987 I was told the first service interval was in 24 months. Additionally, I was told to expect that after about 1000 miles of driving, I'd need to add about a 1/4-1/2 quart of Mobil 1 - which I just recently did.

I hope the weather is good for you back there when you pick it up so you can really enjoy it - its been a bit cool here in soCal - was 60 this morn on the way to work, but I still dropped the top - froze!!!!! But, I can remember when I lived back in the midwest and I'd be in shorts and sandals the first sunny day that the temp was about 45!!!!!

bhduxbury 03-15-2006 04:30 PM

do the oil/filter change yourself, bm -- you don't even have to lift the car. did mine at 700. another coming at 2-2.5k -- then every 5k or so.

edit -- oops; just realized you will be on the road. but for the rest . . . maybe you were already gonna.

porschegeorg 03-16-2006 03:59 AM

oil change

When I purchased my new 2004 RX8 a couple of years ago, I was told by the
dealer that I would get a coupon for a free oil change. When I went to pick up
the car I told them I wanted my free oil change now. They looked at me a little
strange but went ahead and did the oil change before I even drove the car off
the lot.

bmussatti- CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW 987!!!! If you happen to speak with the
sales manager there at White-Allen, tell him I'm still looking for my Boxster.

Georg

mach schnell 03-16-2006 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhduxbury
do the oil/filter change yourself, bm -- you don't even have to lift the car. did mine at 700. another coming at 2-2.5k -- then every 5k or so.

edit -- oops; just realized you will be on the road. but for the rest . . . maybe you were already gonna.

Without lifting the car - how did you replace the oil filter and drain the oil? If it's really that simple, I'd be interested in swapping out my oil on my next free day - is there a how to post for the 987 floating around out there?

bhduxbury 03-16-2006 11:47 AM

you just put your head next to the rear driver's wheel and reach -- piece of cake -- might not work if you have real short arms . . . .

bhduxbury 03-16-2006 11:48 AM

the post:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MUSEUM&Number=211869&page= 14&view=expanded&sb=9&o=&fpart=1

just recall that the 987 takes less oil than the 986. i think the 987 is 8.05l. double check your manuals.

got my filters from suncoast; they came with the drain crush washer and rubber filter o-ring.