986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Daffodil Hill to Murphys Back Roads Spring Tour (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5386)

blinkwatt 03-14-2006 01:17 AM

Daffodil Hill to Murphys Back Roads Spring Tour

Any board members going this sunday?Iam pretty sure I will be attending.
The tour will be cancelled if it rains.
"After warming our tires on Latrobe Road, we climb into the Sierras via Gopher Flat and Ridge Roads to Daffodil Hill. For the remainder of the tour, we head due south paralleling Highway 49, but 10-15 miles east and at the 2,500 -3,000 foot level to Murphys. The route follows 49er wagon roads, some little changed except for widening and paving, unlike gently rolling and curving Highway 49. We’ll switchback into and out of deep river valleys and cruise through flower-covered meadows, while taking in Gold-Rush history.

If the blossoms are out, Daffodil Hill will be our first stop.

Ridge Road and Rams Horn Grade are smooth and banked, and with interesting decreasing radius turns. After stopping in Volcano (don’t miss the renovated St. George Hotel, a thriving outdoor summer theater and a fascinating pioneer-era cemetery next time you’re here), we continue through West Point, Wilseyville, Independence and Railroad Flat, winter home of a fair-sized buffalo herd.

A loop through Sheep Ranch will take us by the Sheep Ranch Mine, (formerly part of the Hearst fortune), the town jail, a vintage glass-topped pump advertising gas at 18 cents/gallon and the handsome, but dormant, Pioneer Hotel.

A few more rivers, a few more valleys, then….savor Stevenot Winery’s fine vintages. Picnic (Bring Your Own) under grape arbors next to San Domingo Creek.

Murphys, one of the more colorful Gold-Rush towns, is a few minutes from Stevenot and the tour’s end. Enjoy browsing the shops, museums, galleries and tasting rooms before heading home.

Driving time? Roughly three hours to Murphys, excluding stops.
Reservations strongly recommended, as Stevenot Winery would like a head count.

Tour Fee: $10.00 per car.

Contact Alice Schilla or Doug Klein, amschilla@surewest.net, dougk@surewest.net (916)780-7989 (days) or 791-4864 (eves).

Meet at the Town Center Mall at the southeast corner of Highway 50 and Latrobe Road in El Dorado Hills. Latrobe Road is the extension of El Dorado Blvd. as it passes south under Highway 50. We’ll gather in front of Starbucks beginning at 8:15. Departure 9:00 a.m. sharp. Please arrive with a full tank of gas."

velvet_jones 03-14-2006 05:54 AM

HEY! That sounds like fun! I'm interested. I just bought an '02 S and I;ve been having tons of fun with it. :D

chily3 03-14-2006 12:47 PM

:) :) This will be one of the bests SVR tours of the year, keep your fingers crossed that the rain and snow goes away.

Brng lunch and meet us in El Dorado hills -- Full tank of gas is good also.

mike