986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   colored gauge face plates for 987 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5385)

mach schnell 03-13-2006 08:52 PM

colored gauge face plates for 987

Haven't noticed these listed as techquipment for the non-S 987 - anyone familiar with a place offering colored gauge face plates for the 987? I guess I could ask the dealer if they could do it, but I don't really want to spend a mint!!

Anyone installed these themselves - thoughts/experiences

eslai 03-13-2006 09:43 PM

There's a white 987 at Pioneer Centres right now with white gauge faces (along with white-backed sport seats and other white trim), but I didn't look for the price.

I'll try to remember to look at the window sticker when I pick up my car tomorrow, not that that helps you that much since of course, the price is probably a lot cheaper than it would be to get retrofitted.

mach schnell 03-13-2006 10:06 PM

eslai - thanks - on a separate note - did you put sylvania 7506's for your front directionals? If so, do they blink clear or amber?

eslai 03-14-2006 07:51 AM

Nah, i'm using Stealth bulbs, you can click the amberectomy link in my signature for more details on those.

SD987 03-14-2006 01:36 PM

Eslai, what are you having done over at Pioneer this time? You probably aren't too far off from your 20k eh? I'm at 14,500 on the box now.

bmussatti 03-14-2006 01:52 PM

I also have not seen the painted instrument dials in Tequipment. I would bet that doing any retro-fit would be pretty expensive, because even ordering from the factory is not cheap:

They are all $690:

Code XFD- Sand Beige

XFE Terracotta

XFF Natural Brown

XFG Gueards Red

XFH Speed Yellow

XFJ Carrara White

eslai 03-14-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
Eslai, what are you having done over at Pioneer this time? You probably aren't too far off from your 20k eh? I'm at 14,500 on the box now.

I'm at a bit over 14,500 also. Here's what I'm having done right now:
  • Brakes squeaking -- please advise
  • Squeaking parking brake handle
  • Vertical "water" streaks in rear view mirror visible when light shines on glass. (streaks are behind the glass)
  • Rattle noise from passenger side cabtop
  • Rattle noise from driver side cabtop
  • Customer states: When playing CDs radio will say "STOP". Also noted that when trying to change tracks ie. from track 6 to 5 radio will go back to track 1
  • Rattle coming from rear of vehicle at engine speeds on 2100 RPMs only when vehicle is cold
  • Exterior trim at both a-pillars are discolored
  • W566 service action - adding convertible top emergency tool to the vehicle tool kit
  • Check headlight adjustment (see Sean)

Yay warranty. Hope they don't pee in my gastank :o

Bunch of little things, obviously. I mention the sucky radio every time I go in just to make sure it's on the record. The 2100 RPM rattle is 90% better now with the washers on the exhaust hangers or whatever they've been doing to these cars when people complain but it's still slightly there--it just goes away faster as the engine warms.

The headlights... well I had them adjust them when I got the car because the driver-side light looked lower. They adjusted it higher and it was blinding people. They later explained to me that that was the way HID lights look--the driver side is supposed to be lower--both headlights have a reflector that cuts out the upper left of the beam so that it doesn't blind people.

So why'd you adjust it then??? :) I've had it back to be adjusted like three times now since then and each time the light comes out in a different position, none of them right. I can tell because the beams should overlap exactly--they should both be low in the same place and high in the same place. They're not. Anyhow, i figured I'd give them one more shot before I go out and buy a long enough allen wrench to do it myself.

As for the rubber trim around the a-pillar, I don't know if any of you other 987 owners have noticed but on my car it's deteriorating rapidly. I'll take pictures if they don't fix it this time and show y'all then.

SD987 03-14-2006 02:25 PM

Great write-up, thanks for the details.

Brakes squeaking -- please advise NO
Squeaking parking brake handle NO
Vertical "water" streaks in rear view mirror visible when light shines on glass.(streaks are behind the glass) Wow, I applaud your anal-retentiveness ! :cheers:
Rattle noise from passenger side cabtop YES, just noticed that the other day with all this top-up driving we've had to do lately
Rattle noise from driver side cabtop NO
Customer states: When playing CDs radio will say "STOP". Also noted that when trying to change tracks ie. from track 6 to 5 radio will go back to track 1 YES the CD player on these things is a confirmed kill
Rattle coming from rear of vehicle at engine speeds on 2100 RPMs only when vehicle is cold YES, but went away for me
Exterior trim at both a-pillars are discolored Mine seem OK
W566 service action - adding convertible top emergency tool to the vehicle tool kit What the hell is this? a penknife?
Check headlight adjustment (see Sean) N/A

eslai 03-14-2006 02:36 PM

Wow, I applaud your anal-retentiveness ! :cheers:[/i]

haha seriously though--It's been a while and I keep thinking, "didn't I just clean that mirror, why is it all streaked again? It wasn't until recently that i realized that it was always the SAME streaks and that they weren't going away.

I think since I've worn glasses since I was in second grade I'm really sensitive to dirty glass--drives me nuts. :)

YES the CD player on these things is a confirmed kill

See, I'm worried that they're never going to fix that. :( Be sure to keep mentioning it when you go in for service!!!!

What the hell is this? a penknife?

It's actually the latest recall :D I think I posted about it in another thread, but I thought that my car's build date was way outside of where that problem had been reported. I think Sean just threw that onto the list because they're confirming all of the cars that come through the shop or that sort of thing.

bmussatti 03-14-2006 03:50 PM

I think the colored gages look good. Here is an example: