Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
fab

Maf

How do you know when you have to replace your MAF?

Fab
00 Boxster Tip Blk/Blk

fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 AM   #2

Your check engine light will come on.
l8braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Most of the time when you have a bad MAF there are several simptoms;
1. A bouncing idle(big or small)
2. Codes P1123 and P1125 from the CEL
3. Hesitation when you step on the gas
Old 03-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #4

Are there preventive measures that one can take? I recall seeing steps about cleaning the maf. Does this prove to be a worth while project?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquelfe
Are there preventive measures that one can take? I recall seeing steps about cleaning the maf. Does this prove to be a worth while project?
Hi,

All the Pros state not to clean these. This is because the MAF Porsche uses incorporates a Hot Film, that is, a conductive film (possibly Mylar) through which a reference current is passed.

Cleaning with a solvent could cause damage to this film and interfere with this reference current. My inclination would be to use only pressurized Air, such as the Spray Cans used by Photographers.

The problem is you could clean it sufficiently to get it beyond the fault threshold, while still signalling an inaccurate Air Mass to the DME. If this happened, you'd never know since there would be no MIL, but the DME could be using an inappropriate A/F MAP because of it and allow the Engine to run Richer or Leaner than ideal. This could have negative long-term effects to the Engine longevity and/or the Exhaust components, the Cats in particular.

That said, given the expense of this module, I'd probably attempt to clean it first, but if there were any question about it's post-cleaning performance, I'd bite the bullet and swap it out. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-13-2006 at 12:40 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #6

Cleaning the maf with pressurized air is an absolute No No, that will almost always kill it for good.. I have had a little luck using CRC QD electronics cleaner, and letting it air dry. I have heard the dealers are using carb cleaner to clean them, and I have talked to a couple of guys who have been using the same thing with good results.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #7

I had some bad MAF symptoms last year where two things happened:

1) the throttle repeatedly would chugh and cough only between 3000 rpm and 3100 rpm.

2) On one occasion the throttle chugged randomly at ALL rpms, the car was undriveable. I limped to the curb and restarted the car and it was healed. Of course, I drove straight to the dealer after that!

The diagnosis was the MAF and no performance problems since then.

- Xavier
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Cleaning the maf with pressurized air is an absolute No No, that will almost always kill it for good.. I have had a little luck using CRC QD electronics cleaner, and letting it air dry. I have heard the dealers are using carb cleaner to clean them, and I have talked to a couple of guys who have been using the same thing with good results.
Hi,

I think it all depends upon the pressure you use, I mean it is subjected to a stream of Air above ambient pressure as a matter of course. My tendency would be to use the enclosed straw and hold it some distance away to avoid too high a pressure.

Also, some solvents may work while others can leave residue, or degrade the film, making it worse off than before. I'd be more prone to use an electronic cleaner than Carb cleaner though...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #9

What about an electrical contact cleaner? I use this stuff on electrical components at work all the time w/ great results. It cleans moisture and dirt/grime from electrical connections. And dries w/ no residue. To top that is non conductive. What is the cost of a new MAF, anyone priced one lately?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I just paid $233 shipped from 986online. I searched for hours and trust me that price can not be beat on a brand new OEM MAF. Non e-gas of course.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I just paid $233 shipped from 986online. I searched for hours and trust me that price can not be beat on a brand new OEM MAF. Non e-gas of course.
Thats a good price.