986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ebay Wheel Crests (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53827)

Tucker2 08-25-2014 06:50 PM

Ebay Wheel Crests

I post this just as an FYI. (Sorry if I offend anyone). After getting new wheels that allow for a OEM Porsche insert....I could not put out $190-$260 for a set of 4 pieces of plastic. Just couldn't do it. That is just a whole lot of Fairy Dust I couldn't go for.

These are off eBay for $16 SHIPPED. Are they identical to OEM? No. Are they as nice? No. Am I happy for $16. Oh yeah. The fit is very good.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1409021409.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1409021438.jpg

thstone 08-25-2014 07:42 PM

Just remember that the point of the crest goes towards the air valve or the concours judges will subtract points. :) (there should be a font called "sarcasm")

b55er 08-25-2014 08:01 PM

I got SUCKERED by this on eBay.

Seller said they were OEM, original Porsche part. Had nice picts, and the exact same packaging including the bar code, Porsche Part #, etc..

I bought them for $99. After placing my order, I began digging really deep into these and realized that all the photos on eBay (and some independent parts houses) have the same Porsche Part# sticker. There are several posts on other Porsche Forums about identifying the fakes. I canceled my order, but was too late as the item shipped. Seller allowed me to return as long as I didn't open. I refused shipping and back it went. The seller actually sells tons of wheel caps for various cars including antiques. I believe the seller may have actually thought they were real.

Yes, I did pony up for the originals from Suncoast for $169. (Techquiptment packaging) Why? Because I'm OCD of my 986.

You got to love the real cheapies on eBay, selling for under $20 or so.. "Made in Italy".. shipped from China direct! At least they're honest of origin.

Tucker2 08-25-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 416010)
Just remember that the point of the crest goes towards the air valve or the concours judges will subtract points. :) (there should be a font called "sarcasm")

Running down to the garage to see if my 'real' inserts are like this.....

Nicely done....sarcasm or not...nicely done.

DonM 08-25-2014 08:50 PM

I'm very new to this whole thing, and personally I wouldn't care if they were "real" or not :)

I plan to replace my seats with Sparcos and maybe add a Sparco or Momo steering wheel and shifter knob. I have already ordered aftermarket rear speakers and plan to replace the OEM radio/CD with a JVC receiver head that has USB/iPod connections.

epapp 08-25-2014 10:33 PM

More importantly, what WHEELS are those? They look nice, esp with the caps

SeanZ4 08-26-2014 06:03 AM

They look fine. If you have to research and look closely to determine whether or not they're fake…then they're fine. I've often wondered what I would do in such a situation. I still have all of my original caps. I'd probably consider going the same route as this if that time comes.

ekam 08-26-2014 06:24 AM

Thing is the paint on those fake ones chip easily. I guess it's ok for $16 as you can buy 10 sets before reaching the cost of the genuine set.

jsceash 08-26-2014 06:25 AM

I bought a set. They faded out in a year. My car only hand washed and is kept in a garage 75% of the time. The tip broke that secure them in the wheel when removed and reinstalled the first time.

Propes 08-26-2014 06:30 AM

Those look pretty good. Do you mind sharing which seller you purchased them from?

boxster6354 08-26-2014 06:51 AM

Don't forget to hit those with a few coats of UV clear coat, as others have stated the paint will fade on those.

JayG 08-26-2014 07:55 AM

I bought a set of gold on silver on eBay a few months ago
They came with a set of valve stem caps as well all for $13.99
So far they are fine.
Only problem is the silver is slightly different than my 18" Carrera wheels. Can't really see the difference unless you are right up on them and I'm not planning on Concours

I figure for $14 , I can go through a lot of them and still be ahead of the gamne

Tucker2 08-26-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Propes (Post 416045)
Those look pretty good. Do you mind sharing which seller you purchased them from?

"ebellking-eu"

Jinx 08-26-2014 10:32 AM

Tucker. Do you remember the name of the site. Jinx:dance:

Ebell914 08-26-2014 11:52 AM

I would be embarrassed to put these things on my car. I had one crack - original-...replaced it - with an original- ...ended up buying 3 more since the new one looked so much better.

Back to the super model analogy....there is no way I am buying knock off anything to keep my girl looking good. Isn't the reason we buy a Porsche because they are well-engineered and German (ok, Finnish :) ) made?

Giller 08-26-2014 12:06 PM

Frankly, I would be embarrassed to spend $200++ on the real caps! But that's just me, I have other priorities in life than my centre caps.
The ebay ones look fine - and yes, hit them with some clearcoat and they will last long enough - then just chuck 'em and replace with another $20 set!
The boxster is one of the best engineered cars out there and is amazing to drive. You won't notice any decline in it's driving ability with $20 centre caps vs $200+ and neither will your neighbours notice.

ekam 08-26-2014 01:07 PM

You're getting what you paid for with the factory crest... or clever marketing!

Manufacturing an unmistakable trademark: the Porsche Crest - YouTube

trimer 08-26-2014 01:49 PM

I bought a black with silver crest for 35 bucks and not a damn person would have ever told me they weren't original...know why???, because not a damn person is going to bend down and look at them...good for you..save your money for the maf or AOS or any other must have OE part.

Ebell914 08-26-2014 04:18 PM

I guess it is just me. I buy quality Gold Toe socks because they last...

To me, the key to long lasting love is attention to the little things as the affair goes on....I don't want my Porsche becoming more and more Chinese as the years go by. A piece here, a piece there. My car is bone stock and 100% original, with the only exception being the LN Engineering IMS bearing :) I am very proud of this fact and plan to keep it that way. When something is worn or breaks, I fix it immediately with a factory original part - no Chinese crap going here. But again, this is just me - to each his own.

$200 is too much? You do realize you guys bought a Porsche, right?

tonichristi 08-26-2014 05:16 PM

^ You do realize that your Kia is worth more than your Porsche, right?
Would you pay $200+ for some bits of plastic for the Kia?

Are you pissed because you overpaid? Makes sense now :D
It's a WHEEL CAP, not some vital part. Do you work on your own car? Are you a Porsche certified mechanic? No?
You do realize that you drive a 986, right? :rolleyes: