986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Having a valet key made at the dealer? Am I getting juiced?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5377)

jeff740 03-13-2006 09:22 AM

Having a valet key made at the dealer? Am I getting juiced??

Hi everyone, I recently purchased my 2001 boxster that unfortunately came with only the master key. I have been investigating various prices to have a valet key made from various dealers and found that there seems to be alot of inconsistency. $70 to have the blade cut plus an additional $50 for the chipped key head seem to be the normal prices that im getting. On top of the cost of the hardware, some dealers are also trying to hit me with 1 hours worth of labour to reprogram the keys or the ignition...not sure which one though. I was just wondering if the dealer is trying to juice me on the labour and am I going to have to just bite the bullet on this one??

I live in Toronto where my local dealership quoted me a laughable $390 Canadian for the same key vs. the $130 plus labour at the U.S. dealer which is just an hours drive from here.

I would love to hear about others experiences with this :)

Thanks.

Jeff.

Brucelee 03-13-2006 11:32 AM

There is a sep charge for the cut blade and for the "chipped" head. Some dealers will program for free, others will not.

That is the deal!

TriGem2k 03-13-2006 11:45 AM

$70 to cut the key????? I had a master made and just had a local lock smith cut it for me for $25 and the dealer programmed the key for free. Total cost for everything if i remember correctly was $175

rubberduckie 03-13-2006 04:36 PM

I had the same problem when I bought my Boxster. I took the one key I got with the car to my locksimth and he told me that it needed to be cut with a laser and he couldn't do it. So, I went to my dealer and was quoted $45 out the door cost. I really was happy with that price and got it made then and there. The hour of labour is complete cr*p, the guy did it in like 5 minutes while I was standing there. However, the key I got was the most basic valet ket you can get, plain black plastic head w/o programming, still, it got the job done as it is a spare. Hope this helps. I wouldn't pay a dime over $100 no matter where you live.

jeff740 03-14-2006 08:19 AM

Definitely sounds like they are trying to stick it to me a little with the programming costs for the chip. I will be heading down to Tampa in a couple of weeks so perhaps I should investigate some of the dealers down there??

Of the dealers that I have called in the Toronto and buffalo area it sounds like none of them have any laser cutting equipment on site. They all have said that the keys have to come from Porsche themselves and would take 3-4 days which might explain the higher costs. I cant imagine losing my only key while shopping at the local walmart and having to leave the car there while waiting for a replacement....

Perhaps I should investigate a dealer who can do it on site and see what the price is there.

Again, thanks for the input everyone.

Jeff.

Brucelee 03-14-2006 08:42 AM

I have not found a dealer that will cut the key.

Hence, you buy a blank, have it cut, take it back to dealer, and they code the key.

Anyway you look at it, it is expensive and time consuming.

MNBoxster 03-14-2006 08:58 AM

Hi,

First off, the Valet Key is just a key, no ability to open the Trunk/Hood. It still has a chip in it for the Ignition Immobilizer. This means that the Dealer needs to use the PST2 to program it.

The PST2 complete setup costs the Dealer something like $10k with Annual Subcription/Upgrade costs of about $4k. They need to charge to recover these costs, although I also believe many treat it as a Profit Center as well. Further Confirmation that owning a Porsche ain't cheap...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Porschekid 03-14-2006 09:05 AM

Hmm, my extra key without remote for my Audi A4 was only $50 and I think it is the same laser-cut style as my Boxster key. They did it all at the Porsche/Audi dealer too.

KRZTACO 03-14-2006 09:11 AM

My key just stopped working, so I purchased a new full function key and had my Mechanic Hergesheimer Motorsports reprogram the key for me. It cost about $210 including labor and parts, the stealership wanted around $300 (Newport Beach Porche in so cal)

Locksmith's can cut the key (around $20), and have a Porsche Mechanic reprogram for you if they have the equipment (Probably around $60-100 depending on Mechanic). Luckily Hergeshiemer has all the equiment so it was no prob. and it did take them about 30 mins to reprogram the key/and install put the key all together.

KRZ

KRZTACO 03-14-2006 09:14 AM

Valet Key

Is there such a thing as a Valet key for the Boxster?

A Valet key (operates the door and ingnition) still needs to be programed so the key can start the car. You can pick up a new OEM key from Suncoast Porsche in Oregon for $80 and have a Porsche Mechanic program for you..........either way your in for around $100-$200 UNLESS you can find a stealership to program the key IF they sell it to you at a reasonable price.

KRZ

Porschekid 03-14-2006 09:19 AM

My car came with a tiny valet key... Doesn't unlock either trunk or glovebox if I remember correctly.

KRZTACO 03-14-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
My car came with a tiny valet key... Doesn't unlock either trunk or glovebox if I remember correctly.

Does it start the car? If so then it includes the ignition module.

If it needs to be programmed, then he should just get a new full function key made, it will cost just about the same then.

KRZ

Porschekid 03-14-2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Does it start the car? If so then it includes the ignition module.

If it needs to be programmed, then he should just get a new full function key made, it will cost just about the same then.

KRZ

What good would a key do if it didn't start the car? If he only wants a spare then I agree, he should get a full function key. But if he wants a valet key, then they are available.

MNBoxster 03-14-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Is there such a thing as a Valet key for the Boxster?

A Valet key (operates the door and ingnition) still needs to be programed so the key can start the car. You can pick up a new OEM key from Suncoast Porsche in Oregon for $80 and have a Porsche Mechanic program for you..........either way your in for around $100-$200 UNLESS you can find a stealership to program the key IF they sell it to you at a reasonable price.

KRZ

Hi,

Yes there is a Valet Key, it only starts the Car and unlocks the door. As such, it still must have the chip in it to disable the ignition immobilizer and so must be programmed...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

bmussatti 03-14-2006 11:05 AM

Some info on the keys for the 987:

The 987 comes with 3 keys, 2 that are your normal, metal keys with the remote & chipped heads. It also comes with a third, black plastic key. This is NOT a valet key, since it is also chipped and does everything the metal keys do, except have the remote head function. FYI.

SD987 03-14-2006 01:24 PM

....psssstt, the one on the 987 is a valet key, with the same functionality that MNBoxster describes.

We previously had a point-counterpoint on this awhile back...

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3094&highlight=valet

I guess if the little black key did everything the regular key does, then there wouldn't be much point in making it little and black...

eslai 03-14-2006 01:35 PM

Well, I think the difference here is that it's not really a "valet key" since it doesn't prevent the valet from getting into the glove compartment, right? The literature states that it's a "spare key".

The only reason the alarm goes off, as you said in the other thread, is that it doesn't deactivate the alarm system. However, if you were to get out of the car, hand the plastic key to a valet and he drove away, he'd never be setting the alarm system either, right? So the alarms wouldn't go off in that case...?

I still haven't gotten around to testing it out, but that's what seems to make sense to me. I think it's really meant to be kept in your wallet or whatever and is only there in case you lock your keys in the car. The key head's even too small to be easily used in the ignition (and is it chipped? I don't know)

I really should test it out I guess.