Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #1

Alarm Auto Setting???????

I feel as if I have lost my mind!!! I have the car for two weeks now, driving it twice a week and leaving it in the garage, safe & sound with the top up. Every time I walk past it I have to open the door and sit in it for a few minutes appreciating her beauty. Last nigt we went for a spin, and parked in the garage with the top down, went in and ate dinner, walked by the car and the alarm was set.

With the top down does the alarm auto set after about 30 seconds? Or did I toggle a setting unknowingly? Any Ideas???

Also, any reason the infra-red alarm function is disabled witht he top down? I would figure this to ba a great asset to be active with the top down since you can easily reach into and down to the floor boards when open.

Thanks,

Mark

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #2

Hi,

My guess is that you accidentally armed the system. If you disarm it but do not open a door or hatch within 60 sec., the alarm resets itself also.

No, the IR Sensor does not work with the Top down on US Model Cars (It does on ROW models). Don't really know the reason, but speculate that it is to avoid nuisance alarms from Insects, Leaves, etc. dropping into the open cockpit.

You can buy the famed little Red Clip which is initially used to prevent the Top from operating if you had the Speedster Humps or the Tonneau Options. It also tricks the Alarm Control unit into thinking the Top is UP and so it activates the IR Sensor. The Part is cheap - $3.95. Some people have painted it Black to make it less conspicuous. See it here: http://store.yahoo.com/eagleday/inpr1.html Hope this helps…

Happy Motoring!... Jim’99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #3

I don't believe that I accidentally rearmed the alarm, as I thought that was what I had done in the 1st place. So I set the keys down and watched as the LED on the dash flased very rapidly for 5-10 seconds and then rearmed.

I did not open the door to break the cycle, so I'll try that tonight. I like the option, but the car does not get driven daily (bummer), only in my spare time, I'm concerned that the battery may get too much exercise over a week or two of sitting.

Mark
mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh98
I don't believe that I accidentally rearmed the alarm, as I thought that was what I had done in the 1st place. So I set the keys down and watched as the LED on the dash flased very rapidly for 5-10 seconds and then rearmed.

I did not open the door to break the cycle, so I'll try that tonight. I like the option, but the car does not get driven daily (bummer), only in my spare time, I'm concerned that the battery may get too much exercise over a week or two of sitting.

Mark
You don't specify what year or model - that might help in the diagnosis.

The Boxster has several features that turn off after a period of time to help save the battery. Not that it has the strongest charging system - but it does help.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #5

I am glad you brought this up because I just remembered that I have a couple of alarm questions.

Does my 2005 boxster have an alarm? If so, why doesn't the light on the dashboard blink like in my fathers carerra? Also, is the car supposed to make an arming sound when the doors are locked? And finally, is there anything special I need to do to arm the alarm?

THANKS!

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #6

Does my 2005 boxster have an alarm?

Yes.

If so, why doesn't the light on the dashboard blink like in my fathers carerra?

It should..it blinks fast for about ten seconds while it's arming, then steady. It's on the central-locking button.

Also, is the car supposed to make an arming sound when the doors are locked?

No, and it's annoying to me that it doesnt. It does, if you've left something open/ajar.

And finally, is there anything special I need to do to arm the alarm?

Just make sure the glove compartment and center console aren't open. Also, in case you haven't figured out by now, if you unlock the car with the remote and don't open a door, the remote automatically rearms and locks. after 60 seconds. Potentially dangerous, should you open the car to get something out of the trunks, and accidentally leave the key in the trunk. Almost happened to me, when I was getting my golf clubs out and set the keys down in the trunk for a second.

Plus if you arm - disarm or any continued button-pushing sequence the alarm defaults to armed after 60 seconds, as it assumes you're a button-pushing jackass who needs to be protected from himself. Probably a good feature.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 03-14-2006 at 01:15 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the answers! I have to figure out what's up with mine...

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
olly986

i have asked that question on a previous thread with no answer yet!!
does anyone knows if you can get the alarm to sound on arming/dearming, i used to have it on my 97 tip but not on my 00 S and it is bugging me :troll:
Old 03-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
i have asked that question on a previous thread with no answer yet!!
does anyone knows if you can get the alarm to sound on arming/dearming, i used to have it on my 97 tip but not on my 00 S and it is bugging me :troll:
You could get it to sound on "arming" by leaving the console open. Of course, when it beeps you wouldn't then know that you also left your door open...

I'm sure there's a way to wire in a sound (naturally I wouldn't know how). But, it sounds like an excellent hack. If anyone does find a way - please post it!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote