986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's that smell??? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5366)

luxury1 03-11-2006 01:59 PM

What's that smell???

My Boxster has about 500 miles on it and every time I get out there is a smell that I can't put my finger on. Is it possible that it is my clutch or brakes or is it some coating that new cars burn off?

bmussatti 03-11-2006 02:34 PM

Hey Luxury, you need to start driving that yellow beast, and get out of the break-in period...so you can see the brighter side of 4,500 RPM man!!

The smell could be any one of those things. Does it smell that way after a normal easy drive or a spirited one? If after just a normal drive, it could be some of the protective coating. But, if after a spirited drive, you might be slipping the clutch a little too much.

blinkwatt 03-11-2006 06:32 PM

Could it be your tires?

longislander1 03-11-2006 08:40 PM

If it smells like burning rubber and happens after the car's been run for a while, it may be a small oil leak -- so small that you don't even see it on the garage floor. I understanding burning synthetic smells this way. I recall that there there have been postings on PPBB about this. Check it out in their archives.

bhduxbury 03-12-2006 08:16 AM

my 3-mo-old 987 had a "burning plastic" smell after operation for awhile -- noxious and "fumey" -- it was still there at 700mi -- but i haven't noticed it in a while -- dunno when it resolved specifically but i'm at 1500mi now fwiw -- couldn't tell you what it was

Brucelee 03-12-2006 11:55 AM

Every Porsche that I have ever stocked has a bit of an odor when the engine has been run a bit.

The 911 is worse, as the motor sits right out in the butt end.

Normal as far as I can see.

bhduxbury 03-12-2006 06:31 PM

just got back from a drive -- i used to notice the burning plastic smell when i exited the car -- big whiff of it -- i thought it was gone at 1500, as i said above, but today i poked my head down to the side intake -- the smell is still there -- but nowhere near as pronounced as at 500.

luxury1 03-13-2006 05:00 AM

I have noticed it during all driving but including normal driving (not too hard) and I am pretty sure it is not the tires. Maybe it is just a normal smell of the engine since the intake is right at the door. I will keep a nose on it and let you guys know if it keeps doing it. Thnaks for the advice!

insite 03-13-2006 08:41 AM

probably the adhesives that glue the engine compartment insulation to the body

KRZTACO 03-13-2006 09:22 AM

Usually new exhaust components will smell funny when exiting the car for the first week of driving. What you smell is the oil/grease used to lubricate the bending machines while bending the exhaust tubes. Sounds like your problem has been longer than a week and therefore would not be this very normal occurrance.

KRZ