986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Two Quuestions: Sun Visors/Tranny Fluid (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53659)

Hawaiian Driver 08-12-2014 09:34 PM

Two Quuestions: Sun Visors/Tranny Fluid

The two sun visors are fragile. The mirror flaps are barely holding on and the side that faces upwards towards the sun are showing signs of aging. Any suggestions? I assume new ones are rather expensive.

Second question, my car has a six speed manual transmission and I want to change the fluid. I always drive in a warm climate, what would you suggest, brand and weight?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Timco 08-12-2014 09:54 PM

Some do a sun visor delete.

I'd just like to paint over the giant warning labels on each. (Airbag)

peterbrown77 08-13-2014 01:16 AM

Re: Trans oil: Stick with the Porsche oil. I did Mobil 1 75W90 last year and it was a disaster. I was double clutching 2nd gear for the first 20 minutes and shifting across the entire range was difficult. Went back to the Porsche oil and it was night and day.

Pdwight 08-13-2014 06:29 AM

I need to do this soon, from what I have read most are using Swepco 201 Gear Oil, 80/90 for their 6S gear box. About 65 bucks for a gallon container

BYprodriver 08-13-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 414434)
I need to do this soon, from what I have read most are using Swepco 201 Gear Oil, 80/90 for their 6S gear box. About 65 bucks for a gallon container

I'll sell you mine for $30, only used for 30 miles.

DennisAN 08-13-2014 05:04 PM

Sunset Porsche sells the Porsche lube for $27 a quart.

Pdwight 08-13-2014 05:30 PM

Swepco

So this does not work ???? , I thought it was the go to lube for the 6 speed gearbox

RedTele58 08-13-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 414411)
Some do a sun visor delete.

I'd just like to paint over the giant warning labels on each. (Airbag)

Tim - check eBay. I've seen a guy that makes a sticker that matches the texture of the visors that goes over the sticker. Sounds kinda goofy, but I've read several different guys say it's pretty slick.

It's worth looking at...

edit: here they are:
Porsche Sun Visor Cover UPS Decals 911 Boxster Cayman Carrera 997 987 986 996 | eBay

Tucker2 08-13-2014 05:46 PM

I replaced my fluid with Swepco. It is very difficult when cool. 2nd gear is very very tricky. Often I just go 1st to a gentle 3rd for the first 5-10 minutes in the car.

I will say, once everything is warmed up, the Swepco fluid performs very well. Extremely smooth shifts. No issues with 2nd.

That said...I'm going to do some more reading on this and replace the Swepco with something that is more friendly when cool. Probably within the month before fall arrives. Maybe OEM, maybe something else.

RedTele58 08-13-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaiian Driver (Post 414409)
The two sun visors are fragile. The mirror flaps are barely holding on and the side that faces upwards towards the sun are showing signs of aging. Any suggestions? I assume new ones are rather expensive.

You can order the mirrors only. They'll "pop" out with a trim removal tool. Mirrors w/ no light is cheap and easy to replace, lighted are a bit pricier and you have to be able to unsolder/solder the wiring.

unlighted - European Vanity Mirror Lid - non-illuminated:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

lighted - European Vanity Mirror Lid - illuminated:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

Rick

Timco 08-13-2014 06:32 PM

Major score!!!!

Thanks! Those giant white, yellow & red warning tags detract.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 414525)
Tim - check eBay. I've seen a guy that makes a sticker that matches the texture of the visors that goes over the sticker. Sounds kinda goofy, but I've read several different guys say it's pretty slick.

It's worth looking at...

edit: here they are:
Porsche Sun Visor Cover UPS Decals 911 Boxster Cayman Carrera 997 987 986 996 | eBay

peterbrown77 08-14-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 414524)
So this does not work ???? , I thought it was the go to lube for the 6 speed gearbox

One thing is for certain: If you go with the Porsche oil, you won't have any issues.

FYI, when I had the aluminum cover off the car, I marked a spot directly under the drain plug (this is for the 6-speed) and used a hole saw to put a 1 1/2" hole through it. Took all of 3 minutes to do. Now I can change the gear oil without removing anything but the two plugs. Going from Mobil 1 back to Porsche oil was a breeze.

DennisAN 08-14-2014 06:40 AM

Heck I changed the oil when my tranny was out of the car for an IMSB installation. Very easy to change with the tranny up on some blocks all by itself. For a 5 speed you have to get that crazy M16 tamper-proof triple-square bit.

JVM1 08-18-2014 08:10 PM

Visor label delete...

Just received and installed the stickers/decals to cover the hideous warning labels on my visors. The instructions were fool proof and installation was a snap. The end result is perfect. Well worth the $10 plus postage from Canada. They are easily found on EBay.

BirdDog 08-19-2014 06:27 AM

I bought those cover-up stickers off ebay (from Canada) a few months back and they were easy to install and look great.

I also replaced my driver side illuminated mirror cover (aka flapper) with the cover off a new (bought from Pelican) non-illuminated mirror assembly. To remove the cover, I cut the left pivot post. The cover is installed on the old illuminated mirror by laying it flat and pressing it down until it snaps over the pivots on the old mirror (pivots on old mirror need to be intact).