Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Garage
Boxster to be Top Dog.

With redesigns coming for the boxster and cayman, as well as the introduction of the 718. I have seen many sites report that the Boxster will now be priced ABOVE the Cayman. How crazy is that, for once the convertible version is no longer cheaper . Supposedly it will be justified with more standard kit in the Boxster. I guess we get the fog lights now instead?

Anyways thoughts on this? Any speculations for how this will effect older boxsters value. Any thoughts on the controversial 718?

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

I read this article too and was surprised. I'll believe it when I see it.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

Yes the tin top is more expensive but the Cayman does have more horsepower (to reduce the higher center of gravity penalty vs. the Boxster). If they were sold with equal power the Boxster would be quicker and that would inconvenience Porsche's forced hierarchy which they use to market the Cayman as a "stepping stone" Porsche.
But the reality is that the Boxster and Cayman are the same car, simply variants. That they have different names and the 911 and 911 Cab do not, makes this obvious marketing spin.
And although the Boxster may be priced higher going forward that doesn't mean Porsche won't make sure that the 981 getting the GT4 treatment will only be the Cayman. It seems to me like Porsche fear the mid engine car with the lowest center of gravity and lightest weight.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Yes the tin top is more expensive but the Cayman does have more horsepower (to reduce the higher center of gravity penalty vs. the Boxster). If they were sold with equal power the Boxster would be quicker and that would inconvenience Porsche's forced hierarchy which they use to market the Cayman as a "stepping stone" Porsche.
But the reality is that the Boxster and Cayman are the same car, simply variants. That they have different names and the 911 and 911 Cab do not, makes this obvious marketing spin.
And although the Boxster may be priced higher going forward that doesn't mean Porsche won't make sure that the 981 getting the GT4 treatment will only be the Cayman. It seems to me like Porsche fear the mid engine car with the lowest center of gravity and lightest weight.

I guess it is good W motors and Ruf do not. I would love to learn more about this W motors car, I do not think it is even confirmed to have a Porsche engine but the transmission is pdk and the engine is flat. Ruf has the very lovely ctr3 based off of the 987 as apposed to the 997.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
Crikey,I want to see a 400hp 3.8 in a drophead 981... With the right suspension package.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

That would be the sweetest thing. Been dreaming of a 3.8 400 HP Boxster myself.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

has anyone priced a Carrera convertible? is it more expensive than the coupe? in reality, the boxy should be priced higher than the cayman. production cost versus final sale price will probably be the determination. from my experiences I would believe the cost of producing a convertible is higher than a coupe (unless that is some really expensive sheet metal they use on the cay's roof).
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 AM   #8

Garage
Boxster to be Top Dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
has anyone priced a Carrera convertible? is it more expensive than the coupe? in reality, the boxy should be priced higher than the cayman. production cost versus final sale price will probably be the determination. from my experiences I would believe the cost of producing a convertible is higher than a coupe (unless that is some really expensive sheet metal they use on the cay's roof).
This is the case in to my knowledge with every other car on the market. Even all the way up to the veyron and all the way down to the smart car.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Crikey,I want to see a 400hp 3.8 in a drophead 981... With the right suspension package.
Well here it is for you to see... RUF 3800S.

Last edited by ekam; 08-12-2014 at 06:52 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Already proven that the Boxster Spyder is just as quick if not quicker than a Cayman R.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Already proven that the Boxster Spyder is just as quick if not quicker than a Cayman R.
Well at least on a karting track, to emphasize grip and handling over engine power, the Boxster was quicker than Cayman and easier to drive while in the hands of ALMS pro and Porsche factory driver.
I also recall one oval track shoot out (I think Fontana) where a Boxster Spyder with a manual transmission was quicker from lap one than a PDK equipped Cayman S.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #12

Garage
Which does weigh more between the two, is the top mechanism less than the caymans roof? Any rigidity strengthening in the boxster that adds weight?