Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 04:25 AM   #1

I need to know....

Can anybody explain to my why a lot of people "blur" out their license plates when they post pictures? What are we trying to prevent?....I need to know!

doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #2

I'm pretty sure if you have contacts in the right places, you can find out address details etc of the registered owners... As they say, knowledge is power, this could be used by a thief, or your insurance company.
Dosverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Gone

Garage
So do you block your plate while driving around? You may have a felon right behind you...
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Not too worried....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
So do you block your plate while driving around? You may have a felon right behind you...
Hopefully I'll notice if they follow me home

......but there are many possible ways this information is used..... Insurance companies monitor these sites and collect data.... Ever posted about a dodgy mod that might void your policy?

Why dont you post youry home address in your signature? And why have I run out of aluminium foil????
Dosverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #6

For those that have modded their cars, its to keep felons from having a nice inventory of your "Special" stuff.

For Auto-X racers its to prevent the insurance companies from denying a claim or jacking up your rates.

For those that want to sell their car eventually its to prevent buyers from discovering "Issues" that may effect the selling price.

For some its to prevent ending up on some advertising campaign spammers list.
Some of those data collection bots would surprise you, not just for traffic violations. https://www.aclu.org/alpr

For the rest I figure its to prevent stalkers in case you get into a tussle of words with someone online and they go postal.

The Jerk (7/10) Movie CLIP - He Hates These Cans! (1979) HD - YouTube

Google your plate and see what it turns up.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-05-2014 at 05:58 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #7

I think the reason is simple: paranoia ! I Googled my plate and got zero, nada, zilch.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #8

Garage
here in the UK i do it because of what are called 'ringer' cars. With a reg plate splattered all over the interweb, it prevents some a-hole putting your reg on a stolen car. they can even get your vin number from the reg plate and put that on stolen car.

it does happen and often.

Mastermind of £1.2m car ringing scam jailed - Telegraph

Quote:
In the dock with Khan, 31, of Osborne Road, Hornchuch, Essex, was Paul Pepper, 30, of Lathom Road, East Ham, east London, who received a 15 month sentence, and Michael Kellman, 40, of Romford Road, Forest Gate, east London, who received a two year sentence.

Also before the court were Sonny Sian, 22, of Woodgrange Court, Forest Gate, and Wayne Francis, 25, of Lindfield Road, Romford, Essex. They were each jailed for 36 weeks suspended for two years and subjected to supervision orders for the same period.
They variously admitted conspiracy to defraud, converting and concealing the proceeds of crime, theft, handling, and obtaining property by deception between January 2004 and December 2007.

Khan, who drove a £40,000 black Porsche [Cayenne] stolen for him, also pleaded guilty to fraud and obtaining a money transfer by deception.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-05-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

Bruce Wayne,
If I had a co-pilot as hot as yours in your avatar, I would definitely blur my plate to keep my identity secure! I'd be more concerned about her than my car! Here's to you!
doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I figure that Google and Steve Jobs must know something the rest of us don't.

Google blurs all license plates in Street View.

Jobs is said to have bought a new car every month so he would always be driving on temporary dealer tags.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I think the reason is simple: paranoia ! I Googled my plate and got zero, nada, zilch.
Well it was zero, nada, zilch... until now!

I just googled your plate too and they'v been apparently very busy since. In fact, they've now linked your plate to your gmail/g+ accounts, your home address, employer, all your web browsing history since Al Gore invented the internet, every traffic camera within 250miles, your pintrest account and finally with Mrs. Joe B. Oh yeah and your 2nd Tuesday of every month, "Miss April".

Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
+1

I photograph cars a lot at the track. Have had people ask me to blur their plate out.. um, no thanks - you want it blurred? take it off or cover it up - I'm not spending hours editing plates lol..
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
I figure that Google and Steve Jobs must know something the rest of us don't.

Google blurs all license plates in Street View.

Jobs is said to have bought a new car every month so he would always be driving on temporary dealer tags.
Ummmm, Steve Jobs ????

Where have you been, bro??
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
+1

I photograph cars a lot at the track. Have had people ask me to blur their plate out.. um, no thanks - you want it blurred? take it off or cover it up - I'm not spending hours editing plates lol..
hmmm, what's less work ... taking plate off, or accidentally breaking guys camera ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
You got the ads to find out everything about you for $1.99 though right?

For $2.99 I can even find out what brand of condoms you use with Miss April.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Well it was zero, nada, zilch... until now!

I just googled your plate too and they'v been apparently very busy since. In fact, they've now linked your plate to your gmail/g+ accounts, your home address, employer, all your web browsing history since Al Gore invented the internet, every traffic camera within 250miles, your pintrest account and finally with Mrs. Joe B. Oh yeah and your 2nd Tuesday of every month, "Miss April".

Now I'm paranoid ! I know you're kidding because Miss April doesn't make me use a condom! I got a better offer than jb92563 did; only $1.00.

Davev's comment makes sense. It would be a lot easier to get people's license plate numbers by seeing their cars out on the road, than by getting them from pictures on the internet.

Last edited by Joe B; 08-06-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
hmmm, what's less work ... taking plate off, or accidentally breaking guys camera ...
LOL try it pal.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #18
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorm3 View Post
Can anybody explain to my why a lot of people "blur" out their license plates when they post pictures? What are we trying to prevent?....I need to know!
Try blurring out your plate and then have a cop drive behind you. Wonder what would happen. IMO i think it's silly. Anyone driving behind me can see it. Now if you can see mymCC number and somehow see the 3 digit security code on the back, then I'd be worried!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
LOL try it pal.
I don't personally care, as I pull my plate at the track (gotta put the rear tow hook in). but I was taught to show some care and consideration with cameras at the track. and if you are going around, consciously taking pics of guys cars and licence plates and posting them online, and then laughing them off when they ask you to obscure the plate, you're certainly not going to be making any friends.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #20

Yes I am one of those who somehow follows the group and blur his car plates. Don't ask me why I do it, seriously I have no specific reason to do so. Might have to do with the plate's numbers size, typeface, color, possibly clashing with the vehicle you try to picture. Car pics almost looks better without a license plate. No?

Don't you guys prefer looking at cars having their license plate blanked and/or replaced with a sponsor or automaker logo instead? I'm already convinced that it is how a Professional Photograph would want it to be