986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   987 - Hood Locked (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5350)

roshanr 03-10-2006 03:17 PM

987 - Hood Locked

The front hood is locked on my 987 Boxster and there is no battery in the car. How do I open the hood to get the battery in.

olly986 03-10-2006 03:26 PM

hi matey

there is a thread on the bottom of the forum page about hood cable that might help otherwise do a search and i am sure you will find something, it was mentioned lately, something to do with the hook screw cover in the front bumper.

hope this helps

see ya!

steven choi 03-10-2006 03:37 PM

call their 24 hr roadside assistance.

same thing happened to me.
newer boxsters need a doner battery to pop it open.
no other way around it.
its in the manual

SD987 03-10-2006 03:41 PM

The lid can only be opened with the aid of a donor battery.

1. Use the key to unlock the vehicle at the door lock.

2. Remove plastic cover over the fuse box.

3. Pull out psitive terminal A in the fuse box.

4. Use a jumper cable to connect the positive terminal of the donor battery with positive terminal A in the fuse box. (it's marked with a little picture of a front lid being opened - feel free to envision yourself in the picture as well :) )

5. Use the second jumper cable to connect the negative terminal of the donor battery with latch striker B (the metal hoop in the door frame to which the door lock engages). - If the vehicle was locked the alarm horn will sound.

6. Unlock the front luggage compartment lid with the remote control to swith the alarm system off.

7. Disconnect the negative cable first, then the positive cable.

8. Push the positive terminal A into the fuse box and close the box cover.

Note:
If you're interested, the engine cannot be started with this method.

KRZTACO 03-10-2006 03:42 PM

You can also goto an autoparts store that has a charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Once you plug it in, there should be enough juice to pop the latch open.

KRZ

roshanr 03-11-2006 07:52 AM

Thank You

You guys are great!!!! You saved my a couple of hundred bucks. I tried 3 dealers in Boston and each one wanted me to have the car towed in.

All I needed to do was hook up a battery to the positive terminal in the fused box as SD987 suggested in his post

Thank you

SD987 03-11-2006 11:09 AM

Curious, why the need to replace the battery? Glad it was easy for you.

roshanr 03-12-2006 04:19 PM

I removed the battery for winter storage. Had the battery on a trickle charger at home, while the car was in a public storage facility.