Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 04:21 AM   #1

Question Speaker Upgrade

Has anyone done a full speaker upgrade on a 986 with door speakers. I want to make a good system since the one it already has lacks bass and isn't up to par to todays music standard. Any ideas where to start? I won't change the head unit, but plan on buying a JL Audio Clean Sweep system for the receiver. Other than that don't know where to start or what else to do. I know I have to change speakers but don't know brand whats good whats not!!! If anyone can help with or without specific upgrades I would greatly appreciate it.

BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:34 AM   #2

If you want the best go with DynAudio or Focal Utopia's, but be prepared to spend $$$. Next step down would be your MbQuarts and so on. If you an buy the speakers @ bestbuy or circuit city they won't be very good(IMHO). You may try Crutchfield as they can help out with wiring harness's.

I'd reccomened replacing the head unit because the sound is only a good as the source! :ah: Then I'd use a different AMP and speakers.....no big deal just $$$.

Check this out for a good idea. http://www.carltonbale.com/boxster/audio/index.html
l8braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 AM   #3

You'll appreciate the vast amount of reading material in threads on this forum if you will use the search feature. I bet there's a hundred threads on this topic, and I've personally perused them and found all sorts of good information!

Enjoy the wealth of free knowledge offered in the archives!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterRS
Has anyone done a full speaker upgrade on a 986 with door speakers. I want to make a good system since the one it already has lacks bass and isn't up to par to todays music standard. Any ideas where to start? I won't change the head unit, but plan on buying a JL Audio Clean Sweep system for the receiver. Other than that don't know where to start or what else to do. I know I have to change speakers but don't know brand whats good whats not!!! If anyone can help with or without specific upgrades I would greatly appreciate it.

I am about to go through my 3rd System for my Boxster in April/May...The first being the stock one of course. The system I have/had in there was great....I used a complete FOCAL Utopia's all the way around (Dash and Doors) and JL Audio for the 4 3.5" in the rears. Two way componets in the dash and 5" Subwoofers in each door panel. Powered by a 6 chanel JL Audio amp. System sounded great....with a price tag of about $2,000 no including my Pioneer Navigation Head Unit which was about $2000 by itself. Total system cost me just around $4k....

Now in April/May i am getting a Full REUS System. This company is based out of Orange County and just does UNREAL systems. With the REUS System my car will have two subs One 10" in the front trunk(inside the Spare Tire) ported to the cabin and one 8" inside the cabin which is basically in the center consle and can not be seen. There will be a total of 16speakers and 2subwoofers. I can not stress how great their systems are(no affiliations with Reus). However their stuff does not come cheap either this will run me around $5,900 but its all worth it .

If you need help in upgrading give me a shout....
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #5

Thanks for all the help. About a year ago I called the reus audio guys and they said they had different prices depending on what you wanted. I guess you are upgrading to their "Top of the Line" system for the boxster. Since I live in P.R. I would have to pay the installer the airline ticket plus hotel stay and guess food or something like that I was told. The upgrade I chose was a 2grand almost 3 don't have enough details. But when you finish the install tell me what are your thoughts about the system and is it a definite must have upgrade in my case. I really want a good system and these guys look like are one of the few that know what they do for our cars sound system. (No disrespect to other audio companies)!!!

BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote