Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Changing the Serpentine Belt

Well I have the day off work and am feeling a little riskay. I order a serpentine belt and front brake pads and they have arrived,now to install. I have the directions on how to change both but I have no clue on how to access the part of the engine with all the pulleys and tensioners. How do I access the side of the engine to change the belt? Is the serpentine belt a novice job,it doesn't seem too complicated? Also on the brake pad change do I have use a new retaining pin,spring clip and cotter pin when installing new pads?

Last edited by rkwei; 03-10-2006 at 04:26 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:39 AM   #2

The pulleys can be accessed by moving both seats forward and removing the carpeted insulation and the ellongated sheetmetal cover directly behind them. The sheetmetal is held in place by about 10nuts, its fairly easy to access. Be sure to take a digital pic of the routing of the belt or find a print on renntech to properly re-route. You'll need a large crescent wrench or socket to release tension the diagrams online show which pulley is spring loaded. Over all this is an easy job. It took me longer to get to the belt than to put it on. As for the brake pads I dont recall any pins or clips. Other than the wear sensors these were very easy. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #3

HI,

Changing the Drive Belt is pretty straightforward, but be sure to check for smooth operation and any play in the various Pulleys. Bearings do wear out. Also, the DriveBelt is Directional, so be certain to install it so that the arrows printed on it follow the same direction as the belt will spin once installed.

So far as the Brake Hardware, Porsche recommends replacing it each time the Brake Pads are changed. That said, I think you can inspect them and clean them up and get a couple pad changes out of them before replacing them.

Be sure to have a Turkey Baster available to draw fluid from the Brake reservoir before retracting the Pistons in the Calipers or you'll have a mess on your Hands. If your Brake Fluid hasn't been changed in 2 years, now's the best time to do it. Inspect the Dust Seals on the Caliper Pistons and check for corrosion. Clean up any Brake Dust residue very well, so that the new Pads do not bind. Check the Rotors to insure they're within the wear tolerances, and rough them up using some ScotchBrite to remove any old Pad material (especially if you're changing the Pads type).

Finally, go the the MFG. Website of the Pads you bought to learn the proper Bedding-in procedure for these Pads/compound and follow this procedure to insure proper bedding and off-gassing of the Pads and preventing the Rotors from becoming Glazed. Good Luck!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-10-2006 at 06:26 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #4

I have directions posted on my website too. http://www.theschillings.com

Just follow the normal instructions for getting to the top of the engine to get the storage compartment out, then my instructions pick up from there. Also, I have not been able to change it yet, but it takes a 24mm (or 7/8"?) open end wrench rather than the 19mm I have listed on my site to turn the release lever to get the belt off. It's very easy to do.

Good luck!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 03-10-2006 at 07:15 AM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Also on the brake pad change do I have use a new retaining pin,spring clip and cotter pin when installing new pads?

Blink, if you do the brake pads, make sure you replace the anti squel pucks.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
After waking up I went straight to working on the Boxster. Boy oh boy thanks fellas,the serpentine belt was EASY to do,hardest part was getting the grips on the felt to seat properly all the way around. Just saved $110 from the dealership installation. I also have gained a emergency(old) serpentine belt. I noticed when I took it for a short spin that my idle is a tiny bit lower(old idle use to be 800 RPM when warm just over the white mark,now its just enough to where I can see the mark), and this may just be me but it feels like the car is more forgiving when you take your foot off the gas in first.Now off to do the front brake pads. Will post back on how well it goes after done with installation.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 03-10-2006 at 02:00 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote