Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #21

Garage
You may need to insist that both tailights be replaced so that they match.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
On the slippery slope

Garage
Keep up the fight

Tom is right and when you don't get satisfaction form the adjuster, speak with their manager and keep going up the food chain until you get someone that will finally do the right thing, which is give you what you are asking for (assuming you are being at least a little reasonable)

You are under no obligation to accept ANY offer the insurance company makes and Tom is correct, the driver of the other car is liable to make you whole. If his insurance company doesn't step up, then it comes out of his pocket (that's why you have insurance)

Like I said before, speak with a lawyer. At the end of the day, that is what they are for and from my experience, you end up with a better deal and more cash in your pocket

As far as value, you need to look at true replacement cost. The true value is what would it cost to replace the car including adjustments for its superior condition, etc, not just the KBB number.

Its hard to tell from your pics (yes you do take crappy pics LOL), but it doesn't look like it is even close to totaled. Be sure to get thje frame checked and it will probably need some suspension components and definitely a proper alignment

Stick to your guns and get it inspected and repaired where you want, even if it is a 3 hour tow. The value the adjuster gives is simply his opinion of cost and most likely is based on average repair shops and discount components, not a high end shop with OEM/factory parts.

If it was your insurance company paying, you might have to accept their estimate, but since its not, you have some leverage

In my 40 years of driving, I have had to deal with accidents a few times and nevr has been my fault. The last time It was my wife's Explorer and we had it fixed aat a very exclusive shop that specializes in Porsche, Ferrari and lambo. It took them about a week longer that the insurance company wanted to fix it and cost about 50% more, but that had no choice., Of course, the Explorer looked better than new and was perfect when they were done
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

One more thing - I remained very businesslike (calm, cool, respectful, and patient) through the year long ordeal. I never yelled at the insurance adjuster (as much as I so wanted to!) and never threatened a lawsuit. But I was consistent in saying that "it was only fair that I collect the entire value of the damage" and backed it all up with receipts and quotes.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #24

So far I've been very calm and facts only but firm, I'm actually kind of good at that part. At the end of my conversation when the insurance person and I came to the impasse she told me I needed to file a claim with my insurance company I told her that I had files the claim with them not mine and I expected them to take care of my car. The car is definitely not totaled. As far as being unreasonable so far I've just asked for the car to be repaired at a Porsche approved facility and/or that a Porsche dealer sign off that the work was done properly and to Porsche specifications. I haven't demanded anything like extra $$, or a rental car. I can deliver the car to the dealer and they can pay for my time off work or they can pay for towing. (the towing would be cheaper + then I would not need a rental.)
keysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #25

Good news today. I called one of the Porsche Certified Collision Centers that located in Ft. Lauderdale and they deal with this sort of thing all the time. He carefully explained the process to me and said getting the insurance company to pay for the towing was not going to be an issue. Brighter skys are ahead Not doing the happy dance yet but getting a lot closer.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysguy View Post
Good news today. I called one of the Porsche Certified Collision Centers that located in Ft. Lauderdale and they deal with this sort of thing all the time. He carefully explained the process to me and said getting the insurance company to pay for the towing was not going to be an issue. Brighter skys are ahead Not doing the happy dance yet but getting a lot closer.
Cool, good news
Old 08-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #27

Quick update..Sadly nothing has happened yet, I have not gotten an attorney at this point but am rapidly approaching that bridge.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #28
On the slippery slope

Garage
as we say in Calif, lawyer up!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #29

Garage
Well that's good news.

The bumpers on the boxster are designed to deform and they will quite a bit, without damaging the bodyshell. a replaced or repainted PU will not affect the value of your car, dealers often repaint the front PU on Porsche due to stone chips and the saleable presentation of the car. To be honest many new cars on the forecourt have had paint even before first registration due to transit damage.

My paint guy does quite a bit of work for main dealers due to such damage!

I had my boxster smacked in the rear in Airport Parking at London Heathrow the bumper deformed up to the licence plate popped back out with no serious damage.

However my front PU needed painting anyway due to stone chips.

One thing to check is the rear spoiler operation, the metal strip that runs along the top of the bumper mounting can get pushed against the spoiler so when the spoiler operates it will scratch the black finish up. its not major but you'll be pissed when cleaning it with the spoiler up and notice the scratches after having the car repaired ! when the PU is removed makes sure they check for any panel deformation too.

The rear PU is no big issue, its 15 minutes to remove however, make sure the body shop that does the work is good at paint, if you can, ask to see some their cars in finishing so you can see the skill of their sprayers. Do bear in mind that metal and PU will have a slightly different colour match anyway as they are different materials.

The best news is that it was only a bump and you and yours are fine.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #30
I am my own mechanic....

When I was hit I drove it to a shop that specializes in Lambo and sports cars. Same day.

Then called their ins. Told them where I brought my car and asked where to get my rental. Was told they didn't have loaner coverage or whatever. Explained I would rent whatever car I wanted and my next call was my attorney. Was given a rental car that moment, some crappy Chevy rental. Explained I just dropped off a Porsche. They upgraded my rental to a very new GMC SUV.

Then headlights. New one did not match faded look of original one. They swapped it to make them match.

Insist. Don't ask, tell them what your rights are and insist.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Last night on our way out to for our Friday night outing my wife and I decided to take the Boxster. Sadly we were rear ended while stopped at a stop sign. Lucky we are OK and it appears that the driver has insurance. I've contacted my insurance (Progressive) an started a claim. At this point we are going to try and work through the other drivers insurance to get the claim paid. From what I can tell by looking at the car the drivers side tail light is broken and not operational, the bumperettes are damaged, one of them is broken off, the rear plastic molding is damaged, I can't really tell if there is more damage or not. No one besides Jim Elis Porsche in Atlanta or Naples Porsche in Naples Fl has ever worked on this car and I have every service slip and receipt for anything that has been done to this car. My question is does anyone have any experience dealing with this situation? I have tried very hard to maintain the integrity of this car by always getting it serviced by a dealer and keeping all documentation. I do not want anyone but a Porsche authorized service person doing the repairs. How much of a fight am I in for and is it worth it?

Thanks,
Keysguy
My other summer car, a Lamborghini Gallardo, was hit TWICE in the past 60 days. I was supposed to drive it to Boston for a conference last month on a Sunday. Friday a taxi driver, trying to do a completely illegal U-turn in the middle of a major road (yeah, like a highway with nothing separating the lanes) ends up rear ending me. Long story short, he gets charged with careless driving, gets 6 points on his license, loses his job due to the points, etc.
As there are no Lamborghini dealers here, I have to bring the car to Montreal for the repairs.
Last time it was a 70-year old lady in a Toyota Matrix, trying to cross 3 lanes to make an illegal left turn in another major road over here. I was stopped as traffic was all backed up and she hits my front fender.
This second one though was much bigger money wise. The two aluminum grills on the Gallardo, around the exhaust, cost around $2500 EACH. Something broke on the bumper (some sort of bracket) and the dealer is replacing the whole damn thing, another $3,000 just for the parts. Once they add all the labour (painting, etc) I can bet we will be up to $8,000.
Of course I am after the diminished value as this does affect such cars much more than the Boxster.
Just a massive PITA really, no matter what you drive when this sort of crap happens. At least you are 100% ok and that is what matters. Cars, we replace them if needed. People, nope.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post

As there are no Lamborghini dealers here, I have to bring the car to Montreal for the repairs.

I am surprised the Audi dealers do not have at least one tech certified.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #33

After two months the car has finally been taken to the Porsche Certified shop in Ft. Lauderdale. Good news is the attorney is not sending me a bill. (long story) Bad news is I'm paying for lots of it and then submitting my bills to the insurance company. If they fail to pay I will with the attorney's help be suing the other driver and his insurance company. If anyone has Foremost Insurance / Bristol West be warned they are AWFUL and will not pay for anything, delay, loose your paperwork and generally stall as long as they can. Ive dealt with some bad insurance companies (windstorm after a hurricane) but they are by far the worst.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #34
On the slippery slope

Garage
Glad to hear you are finally getting it fixed, sorry that your insurance co is a PITA

If AAA in your area does auto insurance, they are great! Also some of the lowest rates around
Old 09-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #35

Did you call Flo for a consult Sorry for the accident and good luck with the repairs.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #36

It's not my insurance that is the PITA it's the other drivers. I tried to file though the other drivers based on my discussion with Flo's workmates. I have now filed through Flo but, they may or may not pay for the towing. If they don't then I will have to pay for it and try and collect from Foremost. Foremost will only pay for towing up to 5 miles. (Lol) I and my attorney have been dealing with them for a long time their answer to everything is "no". Two attorney have now looked at my paperwork and both said they will have to pay they are just stalling to get you to do what they want. The reason the tow bill is such a big deal is that the one way flatbed was $750. In the grand scheme if things it's not much but to Foremost it's all the $$$ in the world.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:
It's not my insurance that is the PITA it's the other drivers. I tried to file though the other drivers based on my discussion with Flo's workmates. I have now filed through Flo but, they may or may not pay for the towing. If they don't then I will have to pay for it and try and collect from Foremost. Foremost will only pay for towing up to 5 miles. (Lol) I and my attorney have been dealing with them for a long time their answer to everything is "no". Two attorney have now looked at my paperwork and both said they will have to pay they are just stalling to get you to do what they want. The reason the tow bill is such a big deal is that the one way flatbed was $750. In the grand scheme if things it's not much but to Foremost it's all the $$$ in the world.

Goodluck, greed is common in this world and these insurance cos have found out that the average person has no patience, so stalling is all it takes to rob them blind, stay stubborn and hold your ground, goodluck.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #38
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm really sorry but you seem to be having the same experience that I had. It sucks. It sucks to argue with people. It sucks to watch your car sit for months with nothing happening. It sucks to have done nothing wrong yet be spending a ton of time trying to get something to happen. It sucks that the insurance company won't do the right thing.

Each time that the insurance company told me no, I said then are you going to notify your insured or do you want me to? Because if you're not going to pay for it, then your insured will, one way or another, and your insured needs to know how big of a bill that you are passing onto him. I said this as unemotionally and business-like as possible - its not personal, its just damage collection, and I was intent on collecting what was fairly due to me.

Know that they are counting on you giving up (or giving in). Don't.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #39

I hope to have my car back in about a week and a half. $4700 plus the towing back and forth to the shop.