Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #1

De-Snork question....need help!

I began to attempt to de-snork my box last night and gave up before even getting the air guide off. I was prying at it and was afraid that something was going to break. There must be some sort of trick to this! I know that I will have to pull like hell to get the snork off but I wasn't expecting to have this much difficulty removing the air guide. is there anybody out there that can enlighten me on this process? I have searched this forum and the one thread that apparently HAD good instructions no longer has the pictures that it once had. The instructions were taken from PPBB and I suspect that the pictures disappeared when PPBB was shut down. Thanks!!

doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

I can't tell from the thumbnail what model year you have, but on the 986 there is a screw you have to take out under the top lip I believe. Then you pop it out from the rear side using a plastic tool and pushing forward.

Then you have to be really careful not to break the fragile plastic surround under the grill vent.

I didn't have to pull hard at all to get the snorkel out.
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #3

My car is a 2001 S. When you say "using a plastic tool and pushing forward" are you saying that the air guide will pop off by pushing forward on the plastic tool or by pushing forward on the air guide? Sorry to be a PITA......thanks for the help!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

Garage
I did this and it was a train wreck for me. In hind-site I would have removed the screw (obvious) and pulled the upper-left corner out away from the body with a plastic tool.

Then, try and pull then entire assembly back towards the bumper of the car and up and out....all at the same time.

I ended up breaking a big chunk out of the tabs on the lower left corner of the intake. Lucky for me it's stay in fine since I put it back in.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #5

Success with the De-Snork!

After doing battle with the air guide for about 40 minutes, I finally got the damn thing off! I did, unfortunately, crack the top louvre at the right end......fortunately, it repaired very nicely with a drop of super glue. As for the actual Snork, removal was pretty easy. Two or three minutes was all it took. I just worked it side to side, up and down with a gentle twisting motion.....just like pulling a tooth (which I do frequently). Reassembly of the air guide was pretty simple too. I have to say that the intake sound is rather intoxicating between 4000 and 6000 rpms! A very nice upgrade! :dance::dance: