986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hot Car For Sale! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5270)

bmussatti 03-03-2006 08:24 AM

Hot Car For Sale!

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Perhaps Dr. Phil wants to slow down a little. Two exotic sports cars owned by TV psychologist Dr. Phil McGraw will be sold at a Palm Beach collector car auction later this month.

A 2002 Ferrari 360 Spider and a 2001 Gemballa Porsche Turbo owned by McGraw, better known as "Dr. Phil," will go up for sale at the Barrett-Jackson auction company's Palm Beach Auction which runs from March 30 to April 1.

McGraw purchased the Ferrari after learning that his television show would be aired nationally, according to a Barrett-Jackson announcement. The car has titanium paint, chrome wheels and a blue convertible top with matching interior. It is powered by a 395-horsepower V8 engine.

The black Porsche is a 911 Turbo modified by Gemballa, a German company specializing in creating modified versions of Porsche cars. It has a 415-horsepower 6-cylinder engine and upgraded performance suspension.

"Dr. Phil certainly had an eye for quality and rarity when he purchased these two beauties," said Craig Jackson, president of the auction company, in a statement.

The buyer or buyers of the cars will receive a letter of authenticity and proof of McGraw's ownership.

Barrett-Jackson did not provide an estimated selling price for the cars. Cars like McGraw's Ferrari sell for about $170,000, according to automotive pricing guide Nadaguides.com, but celebrity ownership can increase a car's value. No estimate of value is available for the Porsche.

Perfectlap 03-03-2006 08:27 AM

is this is the fat bald guy that tells people how to eat properly?

eslai 03-03-2006 08:46 AM

Yes. "Doctor" Duh. :(

TriGem2k 03-03-2006 10:04 AM

"....celebrity ownership can increase a car's value."

WTF that’s got to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard....I'd pay less because those idiots owned it.

MNBoxster 03-03-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
"....celebrity ownership can increase a car's value."

WTF that’s got to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard....I'd pay less because those idiots owned it.

Hi,

It's called Provenance and can sometimes double the Car's Market Value.

Frank Sinatra's Lamborghini Miura SV sold for $250k at a time when models sans Provenance were going for $115k...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

TriGem2k 03-03-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

It's called Provenance and can sometimes double the Car's Market Value.

Frank Sinatra's Lamborghini Miura SV sold for $250k at a time when models sans Provenance were going for $115k...

Frank Sinatra is one thing but....Dr. Phil!

eslai 03-03-2006 10:45 AM

Yeah, I've not quite figured out why that happens. Just because someone owned it doesn't mean it well... smells like them or looks like them or something. Hrmm.

MNBoxster 03-03-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eslai
Yeah, I've not quite figured out why that happens. Just because someone owned it doesn't mean it well... smells like them or looks like them or something. Hrmm.

Hi,

Braggin' Rights - I own Frank Sinatra's, Elvis's, Mario Andretti's, Hitler's car... I agree about Dr. Phil though...

bmussatti 03-03-2006 11:20 AM

Remember when George Costanza bought that car (LaBaron??) on "Seinfeld"? From what's-his-name? Is that called Provenance too?

Porschev 03-03-2006 11:32 AM

i supposed to be was Jon Voight car, however its end up with being John Voight car. Only one letter, but what a difference.
Jon Voight is an American actor born to a Czech father and an English American mother. You can see him in guest appearance on TV show Seinfeld in which he bites the character Kramer on the arm.

big Seinfeld fan, big... big...

Ronzi 03-04-2006 12:27 PM

If you have ever watched the good Dr's show, as they pan the audience you would see that his constituency is about 99% women. The other 1% either stumbled in by accident or more likely is the object of the issue being discussed on that day.
I hope Craig Jackson is finding a way to market those two cars to female buyers, because if not, he might not get a bid.

Brucelee 03-04-2006 01:17 PM

By definition, a product is worth what it sells for.

If Dr. Phil's car sells for say $240K, then that is what it is worth.

BTW-Oprah's audience is ALL women and she is worth like a gazillion dollars!

PS-I don't care for the broad but hey, that's show business!

:cheers:

Adam 03-04-2006 01:46 PM

I don't think it will garner any more money than if the average joe was selling it at barrett. Dr. Phil car? who cares?