Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #1

Is it okay to swap porsche head unit for aftermarket?

Since I seem to get conflicting information when I call any of the soCal service departments or I just get that deer in the headlights look, I need some help.

I know that some cars have these funny little things about switching the radios and affecting the car's computer or diagnostics. My 05 Boxster has the Bose system, but I'm mildly impressed with the head unit. And, since I have a very nice Alpine CDA/AI/XM ready headunit with the XM kit coming out of my other vehicle, I'd love to throw in the Porsche. Can I do that and not worry about screwing anything up with the car's computer?

Btw, anyone found the Cayman-style hardtop from D Morris - France anywhere in the US? If so, where and how much?

Thanks

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #2

Concerning your old head unit, where would you put it? The factory stereo is integrated into the dash! Have you an idea I have not thought of?

The Cayman hard top from that company is $7800 or more... I have not seen it advertised in the US as of yet. Seems a little steep just to look like a Cayman... others will rip it off soon though, and sell it cheaper. It's just a matter of time.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #3

If it can be swapped, there should be a dash kit that will in the space after the orig is taken out.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
olly986

hi mach

is it an 05 986 or 987 that you own?

i had a very nice pioneer unit in my 986 and as far as i know you can change the middle tower to one that your unit will fit in, have no idea on cost but i am sure it is possible, as for 987 i have no idea but my guess is that it is possible too, have a look at threpwood threads from a couple of months back he has a really nice unit in his car.

see ya

Last edited by olly986; 03-01-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #5

I was warned swithching the OEM unit would disable the factory alarm system. Does anyone know if this is true?
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #6

I know that Boxster owners in Japan can order one without a radio, so that they can install a 2DIN nav unit afterwards. (PCM isn't available in Japan, and kind of obsolete for that market.)

They have kits like this (works both on 997 and 987)

Don't know abou the alarm issue, or if there is something special about 987s built for the Japanese market.
manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #7

Olly, i have an 05 987. Interesting thought about the alarm - any one have any comment on that one?

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #8

I thought the radio was a MOST system on new boxsters, meaning all the wires going through the unit are fiber optic. In that case, there is no way the head unit could be easily swapped, with or without a dash kit. Of course the Bose ("Blose") also uses an amplifier that you would need to get signal to. And finally bose speakers are all low impedence (1 - 2 ohm), too low for the alpine unit to be stable. Most car audio speakers operate at 4 ohm. In order to upgrade to bose system, you basically have to replace the entire thing, which is not going to cheap no matter what components you use.

Porsche has really mucked it up with the audio systems in their new vehicles. No mp3, no ipod, horrible sound quality, and expensive to upgrade. Then again, if they're going to get anything wrong, i'm glad it was the audio.
ljd-924se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
olly986

ljd your my new daily hero, if everything you mention is true it sucks!!!

I still can't understand why the alarm would be upset if you change the sound system thought, i guess they are two seperate system in the car, anyone with more comments on this?

4 ohms seems to be quite standard for car stereo, 6 and 8 are usually home entertainement systems, but i never heard of lower ohms bar on cheap stereo systems which Bose is definatelly not.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #10

The alarm system will work fine with an aftermarket system in it, providing the installer finds the single wire requiring grounding.

Otherwise, the horn chirps when the car alarm is activated, much like when one leaves open the center console, glove box (for those of you lucky enough to have one of those wonderful things) or the front or back trunks are open.

My installer didn't know this, and wouldn't know which wire to ground anyway even if i told him... but I really like the horn chirp because I usually can't tell if the doors locked in the loud city in which I live and park. The chirp is a audio reminder that I have indeed locked the car. But it's not "standard" to leave it that way.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #11

So I talked to my local Porsche dealer today - "Don't Do It!!" was what I was told - "it's all fiberoptics, yada yada yada" But, they did say if it's swapped correctly, it won't affect the computer, etc.

Then, off to Circuit City - where the Alpine was purchased and originally installed in my Beetle, along with my xm kit. Turns out there aren't face kits available yet for the 05/06 boxster nor are there wiring instructions/diagrams (at least at Circuit City) for the 987. Stinks as my Alpine/XM set up is amazing (not too mention a past Christmas gift from my wife) that will ultimately go when I let go of the Beetle. Turns out, can't even put it in our Subaru Outback as there isn't a kit for that either!

Too bad that Porsche insn't keeping up with BMW or MB in the area of stock radios and satellite and iPod compatabilities!!!!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by manx
I know that Boxster owners in Japan can order one without a radio, so that they can install a 2DIN nav unit afterwards. (PCM isn't available in Japan, and kind of obsolete for that market.)

They have kits like this (works both on 997 and 987)

Don't know abou the alarm issue, or if there is something special about 987s built for the Japanese market.
Has anyone been able to get their hands on one of these or found a comparable solution to add a double-din unit?

I found a couple of pictures that look sweet, but I'm not sure where they got the trim piece from or if they made it.

I have searched and cannot find a definitive answer on whether or not you can install an aftermarket DDIN unit like the Pioneer Avic Z1. One post said definitely no, then it was followed by another one that said you could. I"m assuming you can given the links I've found.

Could someone please clarify?

Thanks in advance from a newie.

http://custom.autos.yahoo.com/gallery/photos-car-10236;_ylt=AkHhCIL6QcfuGFXPXlDHMsZK.ckF?photo_cat= all&start=0&sel=1

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.pb-jp.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpb-jp.com%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
Shellbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
boggtown

I just had mine done a couple weeks ago, it took like 4 hours for them to install it because they had to hardwire it to an "oem converter"(got it from crutchfield) then hardwire it to the car. It works fine, but yes, the horn does chirp(which wire do you ground?????) Sounds awesome, but Porsche apparently doesnt give a rip about aftermarket stuff because well... its a Porsche. (And I wish more people could get Porsches because I see about 50 billion hondas around and the parts for that car are dirt cheap, I wish I could get a complete turbo setup for like 2 grand, or a $500 bodykit.)
Old 06-25-2006, 06:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I just had mine done a couple weeks ago, it took like 4 hours for them to install it because they had to hardwire it to an "oem converter"(got it from crutchfield) then hardwire it to the car. It works fine, but yes, the horn does chirp(which wire do you ground?????) Sounds awesome, but Porsche apparently doesnt give a rip about aftermarket stuff because well... its a Porsche. (And I wish more people could get Porsches because I see about 50 billion hondas around and the parts for that car are dirt cheap, I wish I could get a complete turbo setup for like 2 grand, or a $500 bodykit.)
Did your installer fabricate a custom trim kit, or get his hands on the japan part, or what?

Also, which unit did you install? And did you keep the existing speakes or add new ones?
Old 06-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #15
boggtown

no custom trim kit but it sits in there pretty nice. I have a Panasonic cq 7203 yada yada, and I am keeping the stock speakers untill I have some extra cash.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
no custom trim kit but it sits in there pretty nice. I have a Panasonic cq 7203 yada yada, and I am keeping the stock speakers untill I have some extra cash.
How did they install a single DIN or double DIN unit without a trim kit?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #17
boggtown

You just put it in the old cd players spot, you dont really need a trim kit. I dont even know if they make them.
http://photos-693.facebook.com/ip006/v34/81/6/66804639/n66804639_30293693_6043.jpg

(thats my cd player)
Old 06-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #18

Hi,

All interesting of course. But, I am quite satisfied with the OEM system in my 986, it works well and has never faltered, although adding the OEM Rear Speaker kit did fill-in the sound nicely.

I realize that there's a lot of Bling factor, and bragging rights in having all the current Bells & Whistles, but there are no accoustics to a convertible to speak of, certainly not enough to justify spending $3k+ like I did on my Esprit.

I have a full blown Nak/Focal 8-way system in my Lotus, and it sounds better than my home system. But, for pure sound quality, it'd be a waste in the Boxster.

Then again, playing Hendrix, Thorogood or the Stones through a 12" 200W sub would be unnatural. Today's music is much more compatible with that kind of system, but it's just not me...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
boggtown

I am used to upgrading the speakers because I came from a BMW Z3, I blew those things without trying. And I only upgraded because of my ipod, this way everything is controlled through the headunit. The sound is better than stock, but ya, unless your a kid like me, its kind of unneccessary. I still have 2 JL W3V2 subs with a kx600.1 amp for sale because they are useless in a boxster, you have the fuel tank and firewall and dash between you and the front trunk, and youve got an engine and a real firewall between you and the back trunk.
BTW, whats the average age of a boxster owner?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #20

Probablly a lot older than you think lol. I'm 29 tho.

986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote