Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #1

Does anyone other than me find this annoying?

I find it difficult to see the speedometer when driving due to the position of my left hand on the steering wheel-I always find myself speeding...does this annoy anyone else?

doc

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #2

I have a 99 model boxster the digital speedometer is located in the center of the gauge cluster on the older versions. If it aggrevates you that much maybe you could get an older version cluster. Not sure if the functions match up to newer versions but I'm sure there's someone out there that does know.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Who cares how fast you are going as long as those rice rockets are in your mirror.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #4

I dont think Porsche engineers care if you see the spedo!

I found it amusing they placed the tach promenently large and centered in the cluster and then the spedo was like an afterthought.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:32 AM   #5

as like many of you, i love driving fast....everytime I see a cop I have to change hand positions....,maybe get a K40 installed in the cluster...i guess the germas are less concerned about the speed than the tach....
Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #6

Hi,

Many Performance based Cars have their Tach centered and the Speedo relegated to the side. There is a long tradition of this. The Tach is centered on my Lotus Esprit, my Datsun 240Z, the Mini I used to own, even the Modern Mini has upheld this tradition.

This is because the Speedo is truly of secondary importance. An Experienced Driver, who knows his Car doesn't need a Speedo. Since your Car's speed is a product of RPMs/Gear Selected, you should know what speed you're driving just by looking at the Tach. The Tach also provides additional information to the Driver, such as Engine condition and Shift Points.

Take the time to study your Car to determine what MPH corresponds to your RPM/Gear Selection, and you'll never need a Speedo again...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #7

My buddy has the same problem on his Avalanche. Uses his GPS (Garmin) and has the display with the speed up. He does alot of driving for work and puts the old hand right were you put yours.

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #8

hey jim,

good advice..i shift by the sound of the engine..its just when the cops are out, i like to know exactly how much I am speeding by....thanks.

doc
Old 02-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #9

I while back I got to drive a 911TT. I told the guy who owned it I couldn't get it above 56 mph. That's when he told me I was lookin at the outside temp guage! I looked a bit left to discover I was at 135 mph in 3rd. Guess I was too used to the digital speed readout in the center of my 986 cluster!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
This is because the Speedo is truly of secondary importance. An Experienced Driver, who knows his Car doesn't need a Speedo.
Not saying I am an experienced Porsche driver but Iwill agree, if I know my RPM, I know my true MPH!

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #11

I didn;t know the new 987S had a 190mph speedo. You'd think the old 175mph speedo would suffice since it has a top speed of 167mph
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbennett
Not saying I am an experienced Porsche driver but Iwill agree, if I know my RPM, I know my true MPH!
Hi,

You bring up a good point about True MPH, because all Boxsters (perhaps 996/997s as well) are always 3-5 MPH Higher than actual speed (I don't know if this value is linear or varies with Speed). Porsche calls this a Safety Margin.

I'm not sure if it's there intentionally to aid in avoiding speeding tickets or whether it's a product of the Sampling Rate to the DME. In any event, it's there.

Owners of '97-'00 Models can see the True Speed of their cars (and a lot of other interesting information) by accessing the Data Stream, or CAN Interface, on their Climatronic (Climate Control) Display. This True Vehicle Speed is expressed in kph (multiply X 0.621372 to = MPH).

To access this Data Stream, you put the Climatronic into it's Diagnostic Mode. to do this, Press and Hold the Reciculating and Air Up Buttons for 5 sec. The +/- Buttons scroll up/down through the list of 'c' codes. The Center Vent Button switches the Left Display between the 'c' Code and it's actual Value. The 'c' Code for True Vehicle Speed is - 20c. This True Vehicle Speed is updated 1/sec. To exit the Diagnostic mode and return to Climatronic Mode, press the Auto Button...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-26-2006 at 07:13 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
bmussatti

I have read that you can take your car to a dealer and have the speedo adjusted to be more precise if you want.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #14
olly986

i am quite puzzled, you say that your old boxster cluster have no digital speedometer?
my 97 had one and you could switch from miles to km with the little nob above which is very good as we just changed last January from miles to km here.

the other thing that comes to mind is that if you drive only with your left hand holding your steering wheel (ie on top middle of wheel i guess) well you learned to drive badly!!
you are supposed to hold your wheel with two hands!! it makes sense specially when speeding in a bend and the rear comes off a bit, i would not try to bring it back with one hand only it sounds like crash to me.

better play safe than sorry!

happy and safe motoring