986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Litronic problems (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52374)

Ian c 05-26-2014 08:18 PM

Litronic problems

I just got called outside to look at the car , 2003 2.7 tip .
Apparently front lights not working .
When I turned them on they just flickered a few times then went off .
After about 3-4 goes they came on and stayed on .
One more try , and they were deemed ok enough for her to make a quick 1mile return trip .
No problems reported on the trip , so I've just been out to do a quick check ...
Lights turned on , key turned to right but car not started . Litronics came on , dipped down , made a noise as if they didn't stop , then came back up to normal position .
I thought they were supposed to go down , then up , then return to normal position ?
I tried it a couple of times and both times they came on no problem , but did the same sequence .
It is parked on an up-hill driveway if that makes any difference ?
One more thing , with the ignition off and lights on , it only had rear lights and side markers lit .
Fog lights , indicators , high-beams all working ok .
Any pointers appreciated before I waste all my day off tommorow on it :rolleyes:
Thanks

Timco 05-26-2014 09:14 PM

Both flicker? Key switch or light switch?

One? Ballast.

Mine drop and raise once on startup. Only marker light bulbs light up with car off.

steved0x 05-27-2014 03:39 AM

When I first got mine they wouldn't light up every time I turned them on, was fixed with a new headlamp switch. The not starting sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch.

In between the time I ordered the new headlamp switch and it came in, I used electrical cleaner and shot it inside the headlamp switch and rotated it through the positions. It got much better. The headlamp switch is easy to get out, worth a try, it is documented in the 101projects book/site.

Steve

Ian c 05-27-2014 05:34 AM

Thanks for the replies guys .

Tim , what do you mean by "marker lights" ? And yes it was both lights doing it , which makes me want to look at shared components first , switch fuse relay etc.

Steve , the car starts fine but I wasn't starting it to check the lights last night just turning it on .

I'll start looking at it some time this morning .
Hopefully it will reproduce the fault .
I hate fixing a fault that not there !!! :D

BrokenLinkage 05-27-2014 07:36 AM

Can't help much , as I never had this problem. But...Start the car. My factory Litronics turn off the main beam when I shut the engine off, just leaving the much dimmer halfmoon lit.

Ian c 06-12-2014 07:42 PM

Just wanted to update on this ..

I just got called out front again as they didn't come on just now .
Following advice given earlier in this thread , I had done a little research into the headlight switch .
So I went out and turned them on and off about 10 times , and still nothing .
So I did the other "trick" I had read about ... Pulled out the switch so fogs came on then banged it in with the heel of my hand .
HEY VIOLA !!!! Instant light :D

I could have been pro-active and used contact cleaner as I use it at work ,but wanted the fault to reappear first so I could diagnose . (Plus , I'm very lazy) :)

Ignition switch was changed out to an Audi one last year , and I guess I should have done the lightswitch at the same time ....

I'll get one ordered tomorrow .

Thanks for the help guys , and a big thanks to whoever wrote about the "heel of the hand" trick that I read on here a week or so ago :cheers: