986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please help clarify-bumper question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5229)

docdyh 02-27-2006 01:49 PM

Please help clarify-bumper question

I am looking to replace my front bumper which is cracked. I noticed that bumper covers and bumper assemblies are sold. I assume the "bumper assembly" includes all the internal parts and hardware, and all that I need is the a bumper cover. Saw one on ebay-but the seller tells me that the lip is separate piece and wants more than $300. He is selling a standard factory bumper not an upgrade. Saw ads listing new bumper covers for $300 and assemblies for $750.

I thought it was a single piece? Reasonable price is? Thanks in advance

docdyh
2002 24,000 mi

MNBoxster 02-27-2006 03:16 PM

Hi,

The part you want is called the Bumper Liner (Porsche's name for the Urethane Bumper Cover), PN # 986.505.311.04.G2X. It lists from $550 - $570. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

docdyh 02-27-2006 03:26 PM

thanks a bunch..perfect..

bigislandboxster 02-27-2006 04:28 PM

and heres what it looks like without the bumper! :D

TriGem2k 02-27-2006 05:23 PM

Doc I am will to part with my factory bumper if that interests you at all....Its Artic Silver. Make me an offer and its pretty much yours

docdyh 02-28-2006 03:36 AM

thank triGem2K..i am looking at one that already is in my color, but will let you know otherwise..and thanks to who posted the pic...

docdyh

olly986 02-28-2006 02:51 PM

it is really just a plastic cover, i am getting my front turbo repaired and resprayed soon will pass on the pics, shame your not nearer to me i also will have a front bumper for sale.

docdyh 03-01-2006 03:10 PM

thanks olly, but yes, ireland a bit far....

threpwood 03-01-2006 08:25 PM

glad that I read this post because I will be needing to get a replacement bumper as well.

FYI, my bumper has a small scratch on the right side, a medium level scracth on the left side (there is a small almost invisible spot where the paint is basically fell off - a car accidentally scratch it while my box was in park), and yesterday...I ran into an almost invisible curb which put a permanent scratch on the lower side. I just wish the street is wider and safer here...

I'm gonna have to get a replacement factory bumper, not sure if the current one is fixable...

olly986 03-02-2006 01:52 PM

hi threpwood haven't heard from you in a while, everything is fixable!!
my front bumper is consistantelly hammered by poor drivers who do not realize how low is the front of the boxster so I seem to get scratches in the middle top part of the bumper all the time, the last time someone reversed in the front of the car and damage the bumper it was fixable but i got them to change it (insurance job) for the turbo look front, nice but in resin which makes it more fragile as it will crack on impact, it is actually ready to be fitted back to my car soon and i will try to post pics.

see ya

threpwood 03-04-2006 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olly986
hi threpwood haven't heard from you in a while, everything is fixable!!
my front bumper is consistantelly hammered by poor drivers who do not realize how low is the front of the boxster so I seem to get scratches in the middle top part of the bumper all the time, the last time someone reversed in the front of the car and damage the bumper it was fixable but i got them to change it (insurance job) for the turbo look front, nice but in resin which makes it more fragile as it will crack on impact, it is actually ready to be fitted back to my car soon and i will try to post pics.

see ya

Yes pics please.

Finally had a chance to talk to a Porsche dealership and they also told me that my bumper is fixable since it's a only a piece of plastic. They said they'll color match it the best they can to the silver color that I have now. The cost of the new bumper is about 160,000 yen or about USD$1500 (including color match) :eek: , so I think I'll just get it fix since it's mucho cheaper.