986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   clay bar (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5227)

fab 02-27-2006 11:52 AM

clay bar

I was wondering where should I purchase and what kind of clay bar should I use on my car? I've never done this before and any suggestions/tips/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Fab
00 Boxster Blk/Blk tip

Perfectlap 02-27-2006 12:22 PM

Over the counter Pepboys and those auto shops have Clay Magic and Mother's and Meguiar's. Not cheap they force you go buy a whole bottle of quick detailer to use as lubricant.
Go to autopia-carecare.com for how to and to buy their Sonus brand of clay.
Zaino also sells a good clay without having to buy the quick detailer.

BadBoyS 02-27-2006 05:20 PM

I used Meguiars clay system cost 15.00 last weekend on the porsche did a really nice job and very easy to use pulled alot of crap out of the paint. This past weekend I used it on the Camaro WOW what a difference. Just Remember don't drop it... O got it from autozone

:cheers:

Used the Meguiars NXT and the MicroFiber Towel as recommended on a thread here and was really happy with that out come too..

:dance:

MNBoxster 02-27-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab
I was wondering where should I purchase and what kind of clay bar should I use on my car? I've never done this before and any suggestions/tips/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Fab
00 Boxster Blk/Blk tip

Hi,

Even pressure, not too hard and LOTS of lubricant (soapy water works great or water with a little Glycerin). Start at the Top and work your way down to avoid picking up anything which may scratch.

I tear the Clay into two pieces. I use one piece for the Top half of the Car, say to the Cut Line or Mid-Door, and the other for the Bottom parts, safe over sorry approach...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

KRZTACO 02-27-2006 09:31 PM

If you DROP the clay bar, the 2 second rule DOES NOT APPLY! Throw away the bar, don't take any chances.

KRZ

luxury1 02-28-2006 04:52 AM

Go with Zaino. I use it on my Mercedes and Lexus and it works great! There is a general consensus that it is one of the best and there are directions enclosed when you order it.

bigislandboxster 02-28-2006 05:59 AM

I don't know if there are big differences between the brands, but MNBoxster is right on, top to bottom, use 1 chunk for the top half, 1 chunk for the lower (much dirtier), lots of soapy water or detailing spray, and the clay works well on the wheels as well, just make sure you strip off the wax if any on the wheels first....

Perfectlap 02-28-2006 06:15 AM

if you want to save some money look in the yellow pages for autobody supply stores and you can buy clay in bigger quantities and cheaper. All clay is essentially the same, there are patent issues preventing more companies from making their own clay. Most just add dyes and rebrand it. Sonus has a very soft clay that is intended for more frequent use. A little too soft for my taste.

KRZTACO 02-28-2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
if you want to save some money look in the yellow pages for autobody supply stores and you can buy clay in bigger quantities and cheaper. All clay is essentially the same, there are patent issues preventing more companies from making their own clay. Most just add dyes and rebrand it. Sonus has a very soft clay that is intended for more frequent use. A little too soft for my taste.

Perfect made an excellent point, there are different abrasive properties of clay. The Meguiars and Mother's Clay bars are good (i've used them many time before) you can also go to a specialty auto detailing store that sells all types of clay and they'll probably give you a little "tech" session on which one would work best for you and your car.

KRZ