Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #1

Car Storage Humidty and Temperature

Going back and forth with a buddy on when putting a car into storage (For the winter) as to what the best temp and humidty is any takers... I've always gone by the 60-60 rule 60 F and 60% humidty. The weather here is pretty crappy with low temps in the teens for weeks and lots of snow. Usually take the cars outa service in October and bring back out in Late april to May. We had Snow last week of May last year. We were having a mild winter this year but thats over... Thanks for any help... I win a double cheese burger if the 60-60 thing is right!!!!! :dance:

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
bmussatti

60-60 works pretty well for....Cabernet Sauvignon!

There have been some excellent post here from MNBoxster on Winter Storage...and he should know, he lives up in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

It sounds like you have a climate controlled area for storage. Is this right? With energy costs the way they are, storing at 60 degrees is going to be expensive. Anything above freezing would be good for the fluids. Does the car really care if it is 40 degrees or 60? I don't think so.

60% Humidity sounds kind of high.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
60-60 works pretty well for....Cabernet Sauvignon!

There have been some excellent post here from MNBoxster on Winter Storage...and he should know, he lives up in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

It sounds like you have a climate controlled area for storage. Is this right? With energy costs the way they are, storing at 60 degrees is going to be expensive. Anything above freezing would be good for the fluids. Does the car really care if it is 40 degrees or 60? I don't think so.

60% Humidity sounds kind of high.

Yes have a seperate 4 bay Garage AKA (Man Land ) per my wife. Have heat and a/c , Cable no couch though. I am storing the other summer only cars in there as well. The real debate is the humidty and not so much the temp. The temp is more important to me as I like to go and tinker and hate to wait for the garage to warm up from 40 - 60. Plus the temperature changing seems to cause condensation which i'm trying to stay away from. The camaro is a numbers matching (1997 frame off resto) only 2,000 miles (Hoping to put on Barrett jackson one day and get enough coin to buy a GT3, LOL) my debate with dohdoh (my buddy) is that you need some humidity for the rubber, Leather ect. I hope jim Responds as I know his weather must be close if not worse than ours(Sorry jim).
2000 V Star 1100
Old 02-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
bmussatti

I am thinking 35% humidity would be good. You don't keep your house (approx. 72 degrees) at 60% humidity this time of the year...do you?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #5

Hi,

The Dryer, the Better. Moisture (Humidity) is Not Good for Rubber Parts - promotes the growth of Mildew (Dry Rot - invisible kind which actually Eats Rubber, often seen as a white powdery substance). This is why many Long-Term Storage facilities use a sealed Nitrogen Atmoshere (Plus there's no OČ to Oxidize anything) and also many Museums and Long-Term Stored Cars use Nitrogen in the Tires - to prohibit Moisture accumulation and thereby reducing/eliminating Dry Rot. Also, Dry is best for Leather as well. Get your Man Land as Dry as possible. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #6

Thanks .... Sometimes I think the wife has the house at 75 (Bmussatti) !!! 68-70 when I'm home I'll have to check the Humidity in the house Not really Sure i know it doesn't feel like florida Thanks Mnboxster now I'm out a double Cheeseburger Really good info I will kick up the dehumidier!!!! Not sure I'm going to put the Nitrogen in the tires .. I'll just do the yearly air change though. LOL

2000 V Star 1100
Old 02-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
bmussatti

Many of the big tire store chains do the nitrogen fill. Cost about $20. Costco does it too. FYI.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #8

If humidity is a problem use this...
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.546
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Adam, good link! Thanks. Have you used these? If so, how long do they last??
Old 02-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:

Bill,

These theoretically never wear out. They are just sacks of salts which absorb the moisture in the Air. After a season's Use, you can place them in a Microwave for 4-5 min. which will drive all the moisture out of them. Then, immediately place them in a ZipLok for next season. It's probably not a bad idea to microwave them once again just before reuse to insure that no moisture seeped into the ZipLok. I have used the same bags for nearly 10 years following this method and they're still totally effective. BTW, you can find similar dessicant Bags MUCH cheaper if you look around. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
MNboxster is right on the money. Good investment for us that store the box in northern climes.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam

These look neat but to regenerate you have to put in oven for 6 hours. That seems like a PIA and they don't recommend the old Micowave.. Nice product maybe I can time it right when the wife has the turkey in the oven for 8 hours on thanksgiving (LOL)

2000 V Star 1100