Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

The first oil change ... debris?

I bought my first Porsche, an immaculate Seal Grey 01 Boxster S with 45.5k and original IMSB a few weeks ago. Due to travel, work, an generally crappy weather I finally got around to my first oil change (putting about 500 miles on the car so far). I have done a bunch of reading about all the ways these motors can fail and was starting to get a bit nervous about what I might find despite how well the car was obviously cared for and believing the PO that he hadn't had any metal in his half of the car's life.

...and it's pretty damn clean, just like the car. [huge sigh of relief]

I did find a few small orangey shards of what I believe to likely be chain guide material, and one tiny fleck of ferrous metal in the bottom of the oil drain pan, but the filter and oil was overall clean and golden-brown.

I have a sample from the middle of the drain in a clean ziplock food container awaiting Blackstone vials to send off for analysis.

2 questions:

1) How much stuff do you normally find per change (probably helps to know your odo reading and if you are on the original IMSB)

2) Do you see any problem with the oil leaching from the container I've got it in awaiting the Blackstone containers? It didn't occur to me until after the oil was already in there (and was pretty hot), but I might have tainted my sample a bit with the container. Next time maybe a jar?

coloradojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Gone

Garage
If they find evidence of plastic bags it won't effect your report. I doubt they even test for it. No worries. Next time just grab the sample with the container they send.

Davev is offline   Reply With Quote