986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boxster S one, two Deer Zero tonight (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52127)

Pdwight 05-11-2014 10:51 PM

Boxster S one, two Deer Zero tonight

A strange turn of events on the way home from my Fiancé’s house tonight. I was about 10 miles from her house driving 55 on the country road under a cloudless full moon. I had just stopped and put the top up on my Boxster because I was wearing a thin T shirt and it was chilly…good thing I did. I saw 4 Deer run out in front of me about 500 feet ahead, I started braking to give them plenty of room. Then like a bad dream a flash of brown and white appeared in front of me not 100 feet…….Crap was all I could think at this point. I swerved left slightly while braking to avoid the two directly ahead, The Porsche responded like the thoroughbred it is and I had lots of room…more damn Deer right in front of me. At this point I was doing 35 mph and I stood on the brakes, the big Brembos bit hard and the deceleration pulled me forward in my seatbelt as it stretched hard across my chest. The antilock mechanism clicked strongly as I felt the spikes in the pedal and heard it audibly, I couldn’t help but think what incredible engineering this car had. Tachypsychia took over my mind and now things went in syrupy slow motion. I hit the Deer square mid-section; I saw its pitiful eyes as it started rolling over the hood on my side of the car. It seemed to not induce any shock or impact on the car, like it was Styrofoam and weighed nothing. It hit the top of the window and I saw it was a Buck as it rolled right over the top I had just put up not 5 minutes before. Then there was another Deer right there slightly to the left of the one now overhead, the finder bit hard into the Deer as I saw it cartwheel in the air like a whirling dervish and off the left. Then the car stopped. As I got out of the car I heard hoof noise all around me on the asphalt and then they were gone. Time took its normal course again as I heard the noises coming from the two Deer not 100 feet apart. The first deer could only move its head and neck, the second deer was trying to get up but the back legs did not work, both obviously had broken backs. I felt terrible and lucky I was without a scratch, I retrieved my legally licensed sidearm from my car. The full metal jacket projectile in each Deer’s head put them mercifully out of their misery quickly. So I turned to my damaged pride and joy Porsche, my “Midlife Crisis” as I referred to it often. A cracked headlight, a dented fender…that was it. I had always viewed the Boxster like a Falcon, graceful, quick…but not very sturdy; I was wrong the sports car was built like a Panzer Tank as it sat there purring like a kitten and not much worse for the incident. By now the two Deer were motionless, I nudged them with my foot and when satisfied they were long gone to Deer heaven I dragged the two off the road and got back in my car and drove home. I will contact my insurance agent tomorrow and see about getting my car repaired. I feel very lucky to be able to type this tonight and only have some dented sheet metal and broken headlight. I still feel terrible about the Deer, they were after all just doing what Deer do.

BIGJake111 05-12-2014 03:04 AM

Glad to hear you and your boxster are quite okay, it is a good thing you were able to put the deer out of their misery quickly

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Timco 05-12-2014 04:51 AM

Sorry to hear that. I'm a firearms collector and gunsmith but don't hunt. Sorry you had to shoot them, but glad you did.

New headlights were one of the best upgrades my car ever saw. Looks like a new car.

Muzzle of Bees 05-12-2014 05:19 AM

My pistol is always in my Boxster. Too many strange people moving into Austin. Too bad about the deer and the car.

Dlirium 05-12-2014 06:49 AM

Wow, amazing story and well written. Appreciate you sharing, there are a lot of these incidents that don't end so nicely for the driver...glad you are ok!

Pdwight 05-12-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 400012)
Sorry to hear that. I'm a firearms collector and gunsmith but don't hunt. Sorry you had to shoot them, but glad you did.

New headlights were one of the best upgrades my car ever saw. Looks like a new car.

I stopped hunting in 1980, I just hate to kill anything (except our state bird...the mosquito). I'm a competitive shooter, CMP 3P, IDPA and always have a gun with me in my car....glad I did last night.

I can tell at least one new headlight is in my future

Dwight

Timco 05-12-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 400026)
I stopped hunting in 1980, I just hate to kill anything (except our state bird...the mosquito). I'm a competitive shooter, CMP 3P, IDPA and always have a gun with me in my car....glad I did last night.

I can tell at least one new headlight is in my future

Dwight

If it's an insurance claim, you can honestly make the argument that it looks ridiculous with just one new light. They matched before. Pair or nothing is reasonable because of the huge appearance factor.

RandallNeighbour 05-12-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 400022)
Wow, amazing story and well written!

I was just about to type that. Ditto!

Down here in Texas, if you hit a couple of deer like that and put them out of their misery, you then field dress them and throw them in the back of your buddy's pickup and take them directly to the processor :)

Davev 05-12-2014 09:31 AM

I see you are from Alabama- those deer can be a nuisance out on the hiway. But be glad you didn't hit one our our mule deer- they are huge and really make a big mess of things.

http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/up...Headlights.jpg

rp17 05-12-2014 10:16 AM

Glad you wasn't hurt and too and too bad for the deers. Never could understand those creatures. Really suspicious and very alert while grazing, but then just run out in front of a loud conspicuous car with bright headlights. smh

BFeller 05-12-2014 11:34 AM

Sorry to hear about the car. Glad you to hear you could take care of the deer.

thstone 05-12-2014 12:11 PM

Sorry to hear of this. Glad that you're ok and that Boxster is repairable. Sad for the deer.

nobrakes 05-12-2014 01:34 PM

Pdwight.......Sorry about the car and the deer..........You should be a writer. Your explanation of what happened reads like a novel.

Spinnaker 05-12-2014 06:46 PM

I take it you got an "A" in Creative Writing while in school.

Pdwight 05-12-2014 11:02 PM

Much appreciated

I drop my Bavarian Babe off this Wednesday to the Geico Body shop. I am hoping for the best. As for the writing, I really thank you all for the kind words. I used to write all our company training manuals and documents.

Dwight

Top_Ramen 05-12-2014 11:25 PM

sux to hear. Same thing nearly happened to me on my motorcycle a couple years ago, so now I just tend to stay away from wooded areas when I'm cruising at night. :(