986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New owner and member (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52123)

Lewischuck2000 05-11-2014 03:28 PM

New owner and member

I just got an '02 Boxster base with 130,000 miles on it. Am really happy so far. All that I know needs done is try to clean/polish the rear window and adjust the passenger window, it needs to drop down another ~2mm to clear the top.
I've been reading a lot about the IMS bearing but don't know what I should do. There are no oil leaks from under the car and I don't hear anything that sounds like a bad bearing. Being that this car has 130k on it, does that indicate the bearing has been changed in the past? Should it be changed again?
Thanks, Chuck

Ian c 05-11-2014 03:43 PM

When was the clutch last done ?
It's easy to replace when the clutch is renewed .

Ian c 05-11-2014 03:44 PM

Oh , and with that kind of mileage , what suspension components have been renewed ?

Lewischuck2000 05-11-2014 03:46 PM

I have no idea on any service history. The clutch does not seem to be slipping, have done one hard 1-2 shift and it seemed fine.

Ian c 05-11-2014 04:02 PM

I wouldn't bother with it then .
Just budget an extra couple of hundred next time the clutch is being done .

BIGJake111 05-11-2014 06:36 PM

Yeah ims can be an issue and i feel i would be more tempted the more miles the car has, but i think you are still safe to wait until you do the clutch. Very small chance of it happening between now and then, try not to think about it, and happy motoring :cheers:.

runjmc2 05-12-2014 09:25 AM

The harsh reality is you are close to the end of the expected service life of the engine. There are great stories of ones with many more miles, but that is the exception more than the rule. Recommend keeping your expences low and enjoy it. If you drive a lot, a reasonable expectation would be a two year Porsche. If you keep your expences low that can be a good experience. If you sink a lot into it only to suffer one of the many modes of failure then the experience may not be so good...

runjmc2 05-12-2014 09:26 AM

...and the window issue is most likley one of the door microswitches....lot of info on the diagnosis and repair...

RandallNeighbour 05-12-2014 09:35 AM

Be sure and drive it hard to redline with regularity. This keeps the oil up in the nooks and crannys of the motor and really seems to help with internal part lubrication issues.

A couple of qualified mechanics on this forum have stated that the pussy-footed drivers who never take the motor to redline have cars that need major engine work sooner than later.

Of course, taking your motor to redline regularly will wear it out sooner, but hey, if you have to shorten the life of a Porsche motor but the quality of life is better, why not?