Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Garage
First Porsche Oops

My top does not close quite right, so I usually pop it open a few inches and adjust the top just at the top back of the windows to make sure everything tucks in - it makes it quieter, and is probably more waterproof.

Friday on the way to work I had the top down and popped it up at the last red light before the highway. Got to work and since there was rain threatening in the afternoon, I went to pop it open to check the roof. Except in my haste I did not realize I had not flipped the lever all the way and when I pressed the switch I heard a bang. After thinking this is not good I closed the roof (moves easily by hand at this point) and consulted 101 Projects for your Boxster after a drive home in the rain. Inspection showed I had broken the plastic socket joints. I talked to the local dealer, and found, surprise, surprise, the full arms were in stock and not outrageously priced. Since I had managed to bend the arms in my playing with the roof (note to self, break the plastic sockets, don't play with the roof) I bought two and installed them. Easy job with the right tools. Pricing was compatible to Pelican, but next time I will try for the sockets only. Maybe a couple spare for the glove box.

BTW, there is a good link somewhere below showing the parts. Mine were white, and the new ones are white.

TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

This is where Ebay is your friend there are replacements as well as heavy duty replacements there, and not just the whole arm but just the ends
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Usercpy

Garage
I wouldn't recomend metal push rods, the plastic is kind of safety pin when gone broken..
the metal push rods would stress other parts and the bill$$$ will get higher..
Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

Garage
I thought of e-bay, but was too impatient to wait for delivery.

I do like the thought of a designed in weak link. Every system has a weak link, and replace it, the next time the next weakest link breaks. We do this all the time at work. But sometimes it is better to have a weak link that is easy and cheap to repair, than doing more serious damage that is harder and more expensive to repair. Apart from the $150 (plus some touch up paint to fix some scratches in the frame of the drivers door where the door met the seatbelt) the biggest damage is to my ego and a scratches in my arm and hand from the repair. I even had loctite to use on the bolts, and the right drives for the socket wrench to make the job easier, but did find the rubber washers between the arm and the mounting surface hard to keep from falling with gloves on.

With any luck I have learned my lesson.

TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote